Dog Forum banner

Anxiety med questions

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Choclab 
#1 ·
Emma started her new anxiety med Amitriptyline last week. She's on 50mg twice daily. She is extremely hyper since starting this medication. Generally when we run I will take the e-collar off and wrap her leg so she doesn't have the flopping around. Before starting this med she would lick the wrap a few times and then leave it alone. Since starting the med I haven't even been able to leave the e-collar off at all. She will not leave the place on her leg alone, one day she even pushed the wrap down her leg to get to the spot underneath it. I have upped her exercise even more, but it's not helping. She's getting into things, which she hasn't done in 2 years. I called her Vet about it yesterday and she upped the med from one 50mg twice daily to 1 50mg tab and 1/4 of tab twice daily. She said we'll give her til the end of this bottle and if she is still having the same reaction we'll go ahead and try the Prozac. I'm just wondering if it's too early to take her off of it, and maybe we should give her a little longer. But, it seems like it's having an adverse affect on her and making her more OCD. Has anyone ever experienced this?

#3 ·
Thats what I was assuming would happen too. But, nope somehow is back fires! lol I hate to go ahead and try Prozac because thats the only other medication her Vet is willing to try. And, if that doesnt work were in trouble. Her places have healed nicely though, now Im just waiting for the hair to grow back before I take the ecollar off. Im sorry your dealing with this too, its a lot for any dog mom/dad to deal with.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Emma started her new anxiety med Amitriptyline last week. She's on 50mg twice daily. She is extremely hyper since starting this medication.

Sounds like the new meds are not working so I would ask the vet to change.
since there are so many side effects to these types of drugs. If you have ever listened to the list on the commercials on TV. Unfortunately our dogs cant tell us they have to show us. It sounds like your dog is showing you the drug does not work for her. My vet said the prozac has the least side effects and can be used for long periods of time without harm. It does take 2 weeks to start working so I would try it now. Better to find out now if if will work rather than keeping her on a drug that is making the problem worse.

#6 ·
Uping her dosage isnt working. Yesterday I had to giver her a bath because she rolled in red mud. In the amount of time it took me to giver her a bath and dry her without the e collar on she had opened up her wounds again. Even with me sitting there trying my best to keep her from chewing it. I have to go back to the Vet next week, so I think Ill just give the meds until then. If they still arent working I guess well switch then.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Personally, I think you need a switch. You should be seeing SOME reaction by now. No reason for either of you to suffer if there are other options.

#8 ·
I agree with you, but her Vet wants her to atleast try it til next week. Well see, if shes still the same way tomorrow Im going to call her and tell her that its not working...again. I actually think the clomicalm helped her more than this.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Thanks! We use purple, pink, and lime green. Atleast shes stylish. lol
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
My Vet carries them. Ill tell you the brand when I get home.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
It's called Co-Flex. Here's a link where you can buy them at amazon.

#15 ·
Emma - thanks. Gonna get my girl some color!

On the Thundershirt, I have found it great for fireworks and storms but doesn't seem to do a thing for the licking. When we first got it she wore it for almost a week and no change. But she will sleep through a storm now if she has it on.

#16 ·
I called the Vet and told her that Emma wasnt any better, that shes actually worse. So she wants me to take her off of it and give her enough time to get the medicine out of her system. Then Monday shes giving her Prozac.
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
One of my dogs has terrible anxiety and I feel like I tried everything under the sun and nothing worked. I am a bit skeptical of the meds our vets sold is in the past, so I started giving him natural herbal supplements. I started adding a little bit of turmeric and a tiny bit of hemp seeds in his meals and I think this has been helping to calm his nerves down. Again, I am not a vet, so please do not take this as an expert advise, but this is something I tried and it seemed to work for us. Good luck with your pup :)

#20 ·
I have a dog with ADHD. I try to stay as natural as possible for my dog so I use CBD oil for him. CBD oil is something you have to continuously use for the effects. I’m also a botany major too so I am very well informed on plants. I’ve been using CBD for about 6 months now and I have seen such an amazing effect on my dog. I have definitely bounced around with CBD products from treats, a pen to put in the ear, tinctures, and powders. I have found the tinctures to work the best since I am in control of the amount to give my dog. I played around with it and now I use Receptra 1000mg every day for my dog. I pour it on a spoon and he licks it right up! I’d say because of the CBD (use full spectrum it works the best) my dog is more relaxed. It also has helps boost the immunity system, help inflammation, increase appetite, and the best part it helps my dog to sleep at night! My dog would always wake up and move around the house during the night but not anymore! I’d highly encourage looking at some full spectrum CBD products, it’s changed my household so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.