Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Labrotti is a total sweetheart but he has issues with anxiety -- he gets nervous when I leave him on his own and has a lot of fear of abandonment.

Does anyone have good suggestions to help alleviate this anxiety in rescue dogs? I know he was passed around to a lot of different homes for the first two years of his life.

He's a really good dog otherwise!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just recently rescued my hound mix. My veterinarian suggested getting him a thunder shirt. Or just putting a t-shirt on him. It gives them the protection and cuddly feeling that they may need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For how long have you had him? What is his daily routine like? How does the anxiety manifest?
I've had him for a year now. The anxiety usually manifest in skittish behavior, a lot of nervous licking. He is very hesitant to want to leave my side.

While he accepts new people pretty easily, he can get frightened of them (I hate to say it, but especially big black guys!)

Before I had him he was in a lot of different homes for the first 2 1/2 years of his life and I don't know much about what his previous owners were like.

I try to feed and walk him at the same times every day to give him a routine.

FurBaby12 said:
My veterinarian suggested getting him a thunder shirt.
Thanks for the recommendation I will check it out :)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Their emotional 'baggage' like ours, takes a long time to recover from. Even though one year seems like a long time, its probably only long enough for him to start to trust again. Sorry there just is no quick fix, takes time, love and consistency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.