Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that didn't know.

From: Antifreeze Poisoning

Antifreeze Poisoning

This information is not meant to be a substitute for veterinary care. Always follow the instructions provided by your veterinarian.
As winter approaches, many people will "winterize" their automobiles, including a change of antifreeze. Take care to keep both new and used antifreeze in a sealed container, out of reach of pets. Clean up any spills of antifreeze on driveways and other hard surfaces. Dogs and cats find antifreeze quite tasty and if they find antifreeze they'll drink it. Antifreeze is extremely toxic causing kidney failure that is often fatal in just a few days.
Very small amounts of antifreeze can be fatal. If a cat walks through a puddle of antifreeze and then licks its paws, it can ingest enough antifreeze to cause death. About five tablespoons can kill a medium sized dog. If you see your pet drinking antifreeze, or are at all suspicious that your pet may have had access to antifreeze, contact a veterinarian immediately. Signs of antifreeze poisoning depend upon the time after ingestion. In the first few hours after ingestion the pet may be depressed and staggering and may have seizures. They may drink lots of water, urinate large amounts and vomit. The pet may appear to feel better but in a day or two get much worse as the kidneys fail. Signs of kidney failure include depression and vomiting. The amount of urine they pass will often decrease to a very small amount.

The diagnosis of antifreeze poisoning is made by blood and urine tests although some of these tests become negative by the time kidney failure develops. Antifreeze poisoning should be considered in any free-roaming dog or cat with consistent signs. Treatment for antifreeze poisoning needs to be started as soon after ingestion as possible to be effective. The earlier treatment is started, the greater the chance of survival. Once kidney failure develops, most animals will die.

The treatment for antifreeze poisoning depends on when the pet is presented to the veterinarian. If the pet is seen within a few hours of ingesting antifreeze, vomiting is induced to remove any antifreeze still in the stomach and charcoal is placed in the stomach to bind antifreeze in the intestine. Antifreeze itself is not very toxic but it is broken down by the liver to other components that cause the damage. If the pet is presented to a veterinarian soon after drinking antifreeze, a drug is given that impairs the liver from converting antifreeze to these toxic products, allowing the unconverted antifreeze to pass in the urine. These drugs are useful only when given early and are not effective after the pet is already showing signs of kidney damage.

Animals who present to a veterinarian in kidney failure due to antifreeze poisoning can occasionally be saved with aggressive treatment. Some specialty veterinary practices offer dialysis which can be used to remove waste products that are not being removed by the diseased kidneys in an effort to keep the pet alive to give the kidneys a chance to repair. Whether the kidneys will repair themselves or not depends on how severely they are injured. Unfortunately the kidney damage caused by antifreeze is usually very severe and irreversible. Kidney transplantation has been performed in dogs and cats. There are several sites on the internet that describe transplantation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Great article. Thanks for posting. We have had a few of these in the ER vets I work at - time is of the essence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,032 Posts
This is great info. I would really suggest everyone be super careful about anything that is toxic to their pets and take their animals to the vet RIGHT AWAY if they suspect any kind of poisoning. We had our cat go through kidney failure and lost her earlier in the year, and it was awful. Toxic poisoning is something that MUST be treated early (under 24 hours and still no guarantee).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Also, As said in the article Antifreeze is sweet. That means animals will actually enjoy drinking it. Make sure you check under your cars for leaks. When it get cold, rubber and metal parts shrink up. Many cars only leak after sitting in the cold overnight, so they go unnoticed.

This I know as fact. I was a automotive tech for 10 years before going to the railroad. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,782 Posts
stick'd ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
this is really informative, thanks for posting it ScentHound
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
My dog died of kidney disease when I was little. We are pretty sure it's from drinking antifreeze. He got loose once and it was always very difficult to catch him and we think he drank it from my neighbors driveway or maybe even ours. Not sure... and I was only in 4th grade at the time.
He slowed way down very quick and refused to eat. My mom took him to the vet as soon as we realized he wasn't feeling well but there was nothing they could do... a few days later he died. (my mom had to put him to sleep).... but ofcourse she hid that part from me for years b/c i was too young at the time. I'll definitely take extra care to prevent any accidents like that with my new dog.

RIP Scruffy <3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,331 Posts
This is a great post. I had never seen it before. Any chance we can indeed elevate this to "sticky" level?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,913 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,331 Posts
Already done :)
Oh my! It must be in the health section and I did not realize that!

What a fool am I!

Well, I left my lights on yesterday and had to get a jump start for my car... so this goes along with recent indications of my brain power. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,913 Posts
lol, we all have our days ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
my girl did get into some anti-freeze at about 4 months old. we were driving down the road with her in my lap. when i stopped and got out of the vehicle, i noticed she had peed on me. I got back in the car to go home and change pants, and when i got home, i noticed she had peed on me more. Definitely odd behavior, even for a pup. I took her to the vet where they did blood work, which came back with high levels of an ingredient that is in anti-freeze, I forget the name of it. I was referred to another vet, due to my vet not having the correct product to flush her system with. They had her for 3 days hooked up to an IV. she came out unscathed.....other than her poop now glows...jk ;)
From my understanding, some anti-freeze manufacturers are now adding an agent to their product to give it a more bitter taste to try and deter accidental digestion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
This is a great article! I’m glad it’s a sticky. It provides a lot of useful information. Very helpful! Antifreeze tastes sweet. It’s poisonous to both humans and other animals. It’s the sweet tastes that lead to ingestion. It’s extremely difficult to detect in the body, which is why it’s been used as a murder weapon. Antifreeze actually crystallizes in the brain!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top