Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 3 year old 65lb Black Labrador Retriever. He consumed 100ml of antifreeze on Friday around 5am. I was not made aware of this until today. He was intentionally given the antifreeze by one of my family members. I noticed the following morning that my dog was stumbling slightly and his over-all response time was delayed. When asked to perform tricks for treats, he would stare at me blankly.

There was obviously something wrong with him, but my family member assured me that they would look after him and that it must have been how warm it was in my house the previous night. I assumed he must be correct as something similar had happened in the past.

I was admitted to the hospital the same day for a scheduled surgery I was not permitted to return home for a few days. Upon arriving at my home I reviewed the security footage for the past few days including Friday, I witnessed the family member in question pouring Antifreeze into a measuring cup before putting it out for my dog to drink; which he did, entirely (my dog, that is).

Enraged, I beat the piss out of said family member until he revealed that he had intentionally poisoned my dog with exactly 100ml of concentrated Ethelyne Glycol. It is now 4 hours after that point, roughly 83 hours have passed since he ingested the antifreeze.

I am currently inspecting my dog. This is my current observation:
His kidneys are not swollen and he is not nursing himself as if they are.
His eyes look fine, his breathing is regular and steady. His heart rate does not appear to be any faster than normal. He is well-coordinated and does not appear to be any more lethargic than usual.
He appears to be urinating normally, his stool is normal, he has not fainted; nor have I witnessed any seizures or tremors.

He seems perfectly normal.

It seems he had vomited in 2 places that I can find in my house. This must have happened while I was in the hospital.

He is showing no signs of toxicity. I recognize and accept that at this point in time, if anything is wrong inside, it is far too late. I need to know why he is showing no signs of poisoning.

Is it possible that he will be okay? Why did my family member give him exactly 100ml? Why am I not seeing any signs, surely 100ml of antifreeze is more than enough to kill any dog. Is there something I can do at this point?

Yes, I am positive it was pure Ethelyne Glycol. I purchased the bottle myself 3 months ago and keep it high in the garage.

I am aware that I must remain perfectly calm in this situation. I don't want to distress my dog by acting erratically. I need him to show me exactly how he wishes to behave to adequately assess the situation.

I need responses immediately. I have called my veterinarian and the police regarding the situation. Neither have helped me in any way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Please take him to a vet. Vomiting is a good sign, and hopefully it happened soon after he was poisoned. If you don't trust the vet you called, bring him to a different vet. You can also have a sheriff or police officer meet you at the vet clinic who can take a formal statement of the poisoning with or without you pressing charges. You are getting very close in this time frame to your dog suffering kidney failure, and acting fast is your only hope. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,426 Posts
You dog needs blood work to really determine his condition. Nothing short of taking him to a Vet will give you and the Vet the information needed to save him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,197 Posts
The forum is not meant to answer veterinarian questions. Even in we did have a few licensed vets who frequented the forum, they would not legally be able to answer your question because of liability.

Antifreeze is a poison and your dog should be taken to the vet immediately. Also, the authorities should be called on the family member who gave your dog the poison.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,780 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top