Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was shopping online for Toby and found these super cool leashes. They have them in several different lengths and two different colors. I purchased a grey one for Toby and my friend got one for her baby girl. Just throwing it out there Maybe someone is in a search for a cool new leash.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Those do look cool. I like all the rings for adjustments. But does it not have a handle? I don't know if I could have a leash wo a handle, my current Timberwolf leash has a big super comfy padded one that I love.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Ooh!I like the color!:)
I have a couple similar european leather leads. Love them and use them a lot for hikes and geocaching because they are so adjustable (adjustable length, can be hands free, can be used for 1 or 2 dogs, can be used to quickly tether to a tree or something, can be used to attach to 2 spots on the same dog, etc.)

@supaflyskye often with this type of leash, you create a handle by using those rings in different ways. It was hard for me to picture too. I needed to get my hands on a leash like this before it made sense to me!:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ah but it does not look like the one w the handle has all the handy snaps. Can't have it both ways I suppose.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
455 Posts
I can't imagine that wrist leash would work for my dog who pulls like a freight train ...I know it's shock absorbing and all, but still -- I think she'd break my arm using that thing!
I'm interested in your experience w it too @mr puggle
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't imagine that wrist leash would work for my dog who pulls like a freight train ...I know it's shock absorbing and all, but still -- I think she'd break my arm using that thing!
I'm interested in your experience w it too @mr puggle
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you currently using a harness of any type? Sometimes that could help a lot with pulling. This company has a harness that lays lower on the chest and not on the neck. Maybe it would help your problem a little.

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ I have tried all types of harnesses including front attach harnesses and they did not help at all, and I worked on training loose leash walking consistently for months w no sign of improvement, so I walk her in a 2.4mm pinch collar(I would never use a larger mm size, they do not pinch but poke) and it works great. I know it's not ideal, but it works for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ I have tried all types of harnesses including front attach harnesses and they did not help at all, and I worked on training loose leash walking consistently for months w no sign of improvement, so I walk her in a 2.4mm pinch collar(I would never use a larger mm size, they do not pinch but poke) and it works great. I know it's not ideal, but it works for us.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sure non of us here would ever want to hurt their babies so I could honestly say that I'm happy for you that you found your solution. How was the first time using it?

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ The first time using it was uneventful, she reached the end of the leash, felt the collar activate, decided not to pull, and that was that. No drama at all, she didn't even back off in any appreciable way when she hit the end of the leash, just maybe a step. She will still walk at the end of the leash and put a little tension on the leash at times but will not pull like she does in a regular collar or a harness.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is unrelated to your question, but how do I post my own thread my dog has a black lump next to her eye and I wanted to know what it was

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ I don't know as I use mobile ...for mobile at the top of the the thread list it says "Threads" then next to it it says "(new?)"
Click "(new?)"
It's probably totally different on a computer though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ The first time using it was uneventful, she reached the end of the leash, felt the collar activate, decided not to pull, and that was that. No drama at all, she didn't even back off in any appreciable way when she hit the end of the leash, just maybe a step. She will still walk at the end of the leash and put a little tension on the leash at times but will not pull like she does in a regular collar or a harness.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just saw this.. That is great, I always like to gain knowledge about different product and personal experiences, so thank you :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just saw this.. That is great, I always like to gain knowledge about different product and personal experiences, so thank you :)
You're welcome. I don't honestly think of a pinch collar as an aversive method in the right hands, just a method of negative reinforcement(though I have not studied the "quadrant" so maybe the exact technical term is not negative reinforcement but you know what I mean). Kind of like me using a gag bit on my horse who gets strong going cross country, it is not an aversive method in my educated and gentle hands, but in someone else's hands or used on a different horse for different reasons it could very easily be. It's just something you have to be careful w/ and be aware of the implications of using too harshly.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I just saw this.. That is great, I always like to gain knowledge about different product and personal experiences, so thank you
You're welcome. I don't honestly think of a pinch collar as an aversive method in the right hands, just a method of negative reinforcement(though I have not studied the "quadrant" so maybe the exact technical term is not negative reinforcement but you know what I mean). Kind of like me using a gag bit on my horse who gets strong going cross country, it is not an aversive method in my educated and gentle hands, but in someone else's hands or used on a different horse for different reasons it could very easily be. It's just something you have to be careful w/ and be aware of the implications of using too harshly.
A prong collar is aversive in anybody's hands. It works by inflicting pain regardless of who's using it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you are right.
You really have to be to be smart with it, and know the right way to use it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The prong used properly is not a bad tool to use if needed. I have used one on my Mastiff, however, at 200 lbs, he can pull through any prong, regardless of size, and any so-called no-pull harness, so at the end of the day, I needed to teach him not to pull. He now walks on a regular harness.

Just so you know, the smaller the prong the harsher the correction, the larger size prong is, in fact, softer on the dog.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts