Dog Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I don't know if he has it or not. But not everyone has extra money on them. I wouldn't jump on it just yet. There have been times I've had the money but not on me at that second and it took a little time to get it.
thats true just seems sad they charging 144 on top of what paid and a extra 60 a day till paid to get dog back surely they cant do that?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Have you contacted the animal shelter and asked if they have any programs you can use? The shelter in my town, and has such programs if the pet needs an emergency procedure. They'd rather help the owner get their pet the medical care they need rather then having the pet abandoned at the shelter, denied care, or put down for something that's correctable.
Good advice, our shelter operates exactly the same way. Do check with your local shelter, they may surprise you.

·
Registered
917 Posts
thats true just seems sad they charging 144 on top of what paid and a extra 60 a day till paid to get dog back surely they cant do that?
It's wrong and some vets do take advantage of their clients. I don't know if what they are doing is legal, but it feels almost like they are holding the dog for ransom. At the same time many vets get stiffed by people who promise to pay. But the poor dog just had surgery, and the original bill was paid, they should work with the guy. I would be livid, I just hope everything works out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's wrong and some vets do take advantage of their clients. I don't know if what they are doing is legal, but it feels almost like they are holding the dog for ransom. At the same time many vets get stiffed by people who promise to pay. But the poor dog just had surgery, and the original bill was paid, they should work with the guy. I would be livid, I just hope everything works out.
yeah, thats what really pissed me off, the original bill was paid but they tacked on more for some obscure reason and decided to ransom the dog if they dont get it?.. like wtf?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The estimate is just that, an estimate. Sometimes the surgery takes longer than estimated, and that raises the cost. Most estimates will have some small print at the bottom stating there may be additional costs. Unfortunately, keeping the dog can be the only way to get the owner to pay. I have seen that happen at the clinic I work at.

OP, I hope everything works out for you and your pups.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
yeah, thats what really pissed me off, the original bill was paid but they tacked on more for some obscure reason and decided to ransom the dog if they dont get it?.. like wtf?
I know money tight right now but if that was my vet id change right away!

·
Registered
917 Posts
The estimate is just that, an estimate. Sometimes the surgery takes longer than estimated, and that raises the cost. Most estimates will have some small print at the bottom stating there may be additional costs. Unfortunately, keeping the dog can be the only way to get the owner to pay. I have seen that happen at the clinic I work at.

OP, I hope everything works out for you and your pups.

And if someone doesn't have the $100+ (extra) at the time, how do the vets expect them to pay $160+? Or more? This really isn't directed at you rustedpenguin, just thinking out loud. All situations are different, I just think this was a jerk move by this vet seeing as this guy just went though the same surgery with another dog with this vet. I think vets should work with their clients instead of treating them as one size fits all. I know not all vets are like this.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Trouble is if you are geniunly bankrupt and on really hard times then the vet should allow a payment plan as long as paid in x amount of months or weeks. dr mike who i go to he allows me if i ask nicely and explain reason behind asking for payment plan he understands i have a few hard times and cant always pay full amount right up.

If anything this vet needs to allow payment plan as long made in person the payments or automatic payment is set up and you give them proof its set up should be fine.

I understand some wont pay at all some do try it on but holding a dog for ransom after original bill paid to save the dogs life argh! if the op was more complicated or longer they should say due to (reason) it was longer then we thought which means we have to charge 144 more however if you can come in weekly to pay x amount off we would appreciate it or they could put the guy in touch with rescues that help with this sort of thing!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
this dogs surgery was more severe than the last dogs, but the charge was for "overtime" which is pretty lame.. surprising thing is this dog was almost completely asymptomatic up until the day before we took her to the vet.. she was even still eating a bit and not vomiting, but because the first dog had the same issue we didnt take any chances the moment this other dog seemed like something was off, if we waited until she had more symptoms it would have been too late

so the fact the first dog got pyometra the way she did which was generally mild but her symptoms were more obvious, it actually saved the second dogs life

·
Registered
152 Posts
annageckos, you're right. Vets should work with people. I wish it were that way. I think more often than not the vet ends up getting stiffed; why else would they have such rigid payment rules? Particularly if after the surgery something goes wrong, and the client is dissatisfied for whatever reason, the vet is less likely to ever see full payment (and vets have a high cost of operation). At least, this is what vets and managers have explained to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
im not even sure to consider my luck bad or good, bad that i got robbed of so much money, but lucky because if the first dog didnt get pyro last month, we wouldnt have caught it with the second dog in time because she was hiding the symptoms so well.. i just hope her recovery goes as well as the last dogs who had her stitches out 2 weeks ago and is 100% now (well, minus a few spare parts)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jason, I hope both the of your dogs are recovering well! They are lucky to have an owner who figures out how to get them the care they need even when money is tight. I know a lot of people (sadly), that give up on dogs so easily.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
they both seem to be fine, thanks for asking. the first one to get it i would consider to be 100%, she's all healed up and acting perfectly normal and the scarring isnt that bad, the incision looks to be no more than 3 inches long

the one who just had surgery needed bandages because she was still bleeding afterwards, they were supposed to come off today so i removed them to look at the incision.. the incision looks to be twice as long, much bigger cut but she just layed there on her side with one leg up in the air wagging her tail while i was cleaning the incision..i just need to rebuild her apetite and she should be fine

im still surprised she was that bad off, the ONLY symptom i had before taking her to the vet later that day was that instead of stuffing her face like normal, she only ate a fair amount and threw up once.. but if the size of the incision is any indication i can see where a little more work and care (taking longer than expected) was necessary and im glad the vet made the extra effort.. but threatening to hold my dog hostage for extra payment than what was already agreed upon and paid in full was completely uncalled for

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm glad to hear both your girls are doing better.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts