Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a minor matter in the grand scheme of things...but somehow writing in this forum usually makes me feel better when dealing with life's grievances, so here I go :)

Our dog damaged the pads on his front paws yesterday (long story). Today, we took him to the vets office. It's a Saturday, so they had a different vet available and various technicians on hand. The way it works on the weekend is different from the weekdays. You have to pay a drop-in fee and it is not reservation-based. You drop your dog off, they put your dog in a 'holding room' until the vet can look at them (your dog may be in the holding room for a while), and then they contact you, and give you a time for pick-up.

We dropped our dog off in the morning. Vet called me a few hrs later, and said I could pick him up one hour later. Even though she had already examined him, she needed time to write up his prescriptions (so he was in the holding room before and after his exam)

When I picked him up, our dog was incredibly whiny and uncomfortable the entire time we were in the lobby. I attributed his whining to his injuries. Once we took him out of the clinic, he saw a water bowl and drank like a camel. Seriously. He was SO THIRSTY. I've rarely seen him drink like that. I have a suspicion they did not offer him water during the entire time he was there for 4.5 hrs....not in the holding room, before or after his exam. Poor guy. And to make it worse, I had given him some freeze dried treats in the morning when entering the vets office for being a good boy, so no doubt he really needed the water.

So annoyed! Do I really have to specify to professionals to make sure my dog has access to water in a holding room? Isn't providing water something unspoken for that an owner should not have to remind them about? My husband thought I was crazy, and said the vet probably did offer water, just that our dog was just too anxious to drink it. I disagree. If he's thirsty enough, he'll drink.

Apologies, I know I sound crazy...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ugh, that sucks! In our salon it's mandatory to have water available to pets when they are in a kennel, I can't imagine a vet not doing that for my dog, I'd be pretty irritated too.

And even if they aren't supposed to (for whatever reason) they should make that super clear beforehand. We can't take dogs to the bathroom when they come to the salon (liability issues) so we always warn people not to leave their dogs here too long.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you trust this vet enough to trust her with your dog, you should be able to call and express your concerns and just ask whether water was offered.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hmm...I wouldn't just drop my dog off to be held in a "holding" room, and be told when to come back. If I was leaving for surgery that's one thing, but just for an appointment? That whole situation seems sketchy to me. And not given water? Somethings up there, and I would find another vet for weekend use. No one is going to take my dog back to be looked at without me. It would never happen.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm so sorry your dog had a rough time at the vet. I agree, I wouldn't drop my dog off to be seen unless it was an emerg case/surgery.

Also, to be fair, I know of plenty of animals who refuse to eat or drink while in the kennels at the clinic I work at because they are nervous, depressed, scared, anxious. Many go home and down their water/food once they get home because they were so stressed, even though it was offered. My own dog won't even touch her beloved kong when she gets stuck in the kennels.

I would definitely ask if something was offered, maybe a tech forgot? maybe they need a change of policy? but the only way they will change is from hearing from an upset owner.

Reactions: Sha

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
As soon as I read this, I was like...leave my pet?! Uh, no. That seems odd to me, weekend vets are pretty similar to weekday vets here, except it is way more expensive and you can't make an appointment.
I would just call and ask. Dogs at the doggy daycare I worked at often wouldn't eat their food during the day either.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Also, to be fair, I know of plenty of animals who refuse to eat or drink while in the kennels at the clinic I work at because they are nervous, depressed, scared, anxious. Many go home and down their water/food once they get home because they were so stressed, even though it was offered. My own dog won't even touch her beloved kong when she gets stuck in the kennels.
This same thing happens at my work. Heck even my own dogs do this! My husband and I just got home from our honeymoon the other day and we left my dogs with my parents. I know for a fact my parents left water out for them, they leave bowls all around the house and I even witnessed my dogs drinking water when we picked them up. Yet as soon as we got home they downed all their water in their bowls and asked for more.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
This same thing happens at my work. Heck even my own dogs do this! My husband and I just got home from our honeymoon the other day and we left my dogs with my parents. I know for a fact my parents left water out for them, they leave bowls all around the house and I even witnessed my dogs drinking water when we picked them up. Yet as soon as we got home they downed all their water in their bowls and asked for more.
Nothing like "their own" water at home!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
It would be entirely appropriate for you to mention this to your Vet, and express your concern. I am very sensitive to making sure our dog always has water available, letting them get de-hydrated can cause so many health problems, some can be permanent. It is true when she has been at the Vets, even for grooming, and I know for a fact she has had access to water, when we get home she is always very thirsty, sometimes seems like she wants to go for a swim in her water bowl. I guess the comment, there is nothing like their own water at home, is very true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts