Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Jenny needs your help. She has been in a foster home for 8 months. Animal Shelter will not let foster parents to adopt her anymore. Shelter has decided that she is dangerous and a possible liability to the city. They do not know her.

Please see the website below and take action by writing to the city hall.

Youtube: https://youtu.be/tanmcy-JOk0
Twitter: @jennydog #savejennydog

·
Registered
951 Posts
#1 There are generally 2 sides to every story. Animal shelters who put dogs in foster care generally aren't 'kill-happy'.

#2 You can fill 100 hours of video clips of dangerous dogs behaving well, especially when it's just the owner and the dog in empty spaces. There is a surprising absence of interactions with other humans and other animals in the video content, not the kind of video I'd expect to see if someone was arguing that a dog wasn't a bite threat.

#3 Triage. 4 million dogs go into shelters annually. 2 million of those are put down annually. Until we can get overall 'put to sleep because there are too many dogs and not enough homes' into the low hundred thousands, I believe we must view every one through the lens of triage. Of the 2 million that are put down, how is Jenny better than any/all of them? The money and effort it takes to save one dog that may or may not be a bite-risk can probably save 10 dogs that have zero bite risk.

·
Super Moderator
3,938 Posts
So sorry about this situation.

Obviously, the main problem is that the city does not want to carry any liability. If the dog is adopted out and subsequently bites someone, the city could be sued.

You might have a chance if you can carry the liability for the dog. You would need a lawyer. Also, see if it would be possible for a rescue group certified with the shelter could pull the dog and then adopt him out to you.. In my area, rescue groups are much more able to pull out dogs with behavior problems than are private adopters.

Good luck to you all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.