1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Someone from france could correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going to hazard a guess that "Roma" means Gypsy which is more or less equivalent to "persecuted minority" in pretty much all of Europe.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm an animal rights activist and while I haven't yet watched the video it's a shame that one video can make you say Animal Rights people are pretentious :( This video may be bad but don't let yourself generalize the whole group because of one bad apple.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I began the video and I've seen this. I think it's disgusting, as my mother was once homeless and I can tell you that having a dog kept her from complete and utter depression. Often times people who are homeless will go to extreme lengths to make sure their dogs are fed and taken care of before themselves because often that's the only sentient life they have for company.

Being an animal rights activist and a general human with a heart I would never ever separate a homeless person and their companion and I think this is awful.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I would petition against animals in labs being tested on for things like shampoo and perfume, and dogs being chopped open to see how the food reacts to their stomachs. To poachers and wildlife parks that allow people to buy a ticket to gun down a lion. For slaughter houses and neglect/abuse towards pets. The chinese fur farms where raccoon dogs are skinned alive or shark hunting where their fins are cut off and they're left to bleed to death.

I would petition against lots of things but homeless people owning pets is certainly not one of those things.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm an animal rights activist and while I haven't yet watched the video it's a shame that one video can make you say Animal Rights people are pretentious :( This video may be bad but don't let yourself generalize the whole group because of one bad apple.
Whoa whoa, not one video, I have a history with animal rights people, including myself in high school and early college. I agreed and still agree with most of the stuff you mentioned, I was even a vegetarian. But then I realized what they actually stand for, and PETA and similar groups are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. Not gonna list the many terrible, as well as scientifically inaccurate, things they've said and done and lies they've told (I can if you like though). But then there are animal rights people I actually know and they're the same way. For example when that lion was killed one posted on facebook that everyone's a hypocrite and just as bad as that hunter for eating meat and proceeded to call them rather rude names. What? Killing a threatened species for sport vs eating a domestic species is a huge difference. There are a lot like that that go around acting like the whole world should be vegan, (sometimes including dogs and cats). Just as bad as religious people who will tell you you're going to hell for not believing in or following their religion even if it's not yours.

Animal welfare, that's a different story, much more reasonable and takes science into account, not just emotion. As Temple Grandin says, it's about what the animal actually needs, not about pretending an animal is a human and then basing what it needs on that. I can get on board with that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
and PETA and similar groups are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites.
Oh my goodness don't even get me started on that ridiculous farce of an organization. Inspections on their facility in VA reported officially as unfit to house animals and akin to a euth clinic. No adoption hours, no adoption floor, no advertisements anywhere for adoptable animals. The majority of animals surrendered to them are killed before crossing county/state lines (under 24 hours). They've been fined for "littering" multiple times (the act of which consisted of dumping dozens of bodies, including otherwise healthy puppies and kittens, on the side of the road and in supermarket dumpsters). They are listed by the government as a domestic terrorist group and they send money to international terrorist organizations.

This is not what I want animal welfare to be associated with...

·
Registered
900 Posts
so heartbreaking. I for one would not have been able to just stand there and watch a person have their dog taken away (unless the dog was in really bad shape and was proven to be the owner's doing). I guess I shouldn't intervene in other peoples business but this video is too sad and I would only hope a stranger would help me if I needed it. After the pup was stolen, the pic of it in a tiny space makes this all worse. So sad.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so heartbreaking. I for one would not have been able to just stand there and watch a person have their dog taken away (unless the dog was in really bad shape and was proven to be the owner's doing). I guess I shouldn't intervene in other peoples business but this video is too sad and I would only hope a stranger would help me if I needed it. After the pup was stolen, the pic of it in a tiny space makes this all worse. So sad.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was thinking about that too- I was thinking why whoever was actually filming this wasn't helping and just thought to get out their phone instead :/

But this story is going viral so maybe filming was the best thing they could have done to help.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Whoa whoa, not one video, I have a history with animal rights people, including myself in high school and early college. I agreed and still agree with most of the stuff you mentioned, I was even a vegetarian. But then I realized what they actually stand for, and PETA and similar groups are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. Not gonna list the many terrible, as well as scientifically inaccurate, things they've said and done and lies they've told (I can if you like though). But then there are animal rights people I actually know and they're the same way. For example when that lion was killed one posted on facebook that everyone's a hypocrite and just as bad as that hunter for eating meat and proceeded to call them rather rude names. What? Killing a threatened species for sport vs eating a domestic species is a huge difference. There are a lot like that that go around acting like the whole world should be vegan, (sometimes including dogs and cats). Just as bad as religious people who will tell you you're going to hell for not believing in or following their religion even if it's not yours.

Animal welfare, that's a different story, much more reasonable and takes science into account, not just emotion. As Temple Grandin says, it's about what the animal actually needs, not about pretending an animal is a human and then basing what it needs on that. I can get on board with that.
I'd like to first note that I would never associate with anyone that considers themselves a member of PETA's cult. They're awful.

I would also never tell someone they're going to hell for not believing in what I do. I'm a vegan but that doesn't mean you have to be vegan. I don't agree with slaughterhouses OR the death of Cecil. I agree that it's hypocritical. Just because lions are cute or cool doesn't mean that cows aren't sentient lifeforms with emotion and feeling.

I also left out things like mice that are tested in hospital labs or pigs that help surgeons learn how to save lives because those are things that help us as an entire society and things we truly need to develop as a community.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
It's cruel to steal someone's dog like that. People get pretty emotionally attached to their pets. Who knows what that man is going through in his life and that dog is possibly all this guy has. :(

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Someone from france could correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going to hazard a guess that "Roma" means Gypsy which is more or less equivalent to "persecuted minority" in pretty much all of Europe.
"Gypsy" is right up there with the n-word.

Roma are a persecuted minority in Europe in a way we haven't seen in the US since Jim Crow laws were in effect.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Gypsy" is right up there with the n-word.

Roma are a persecuted minority in Europe in a way we haven't seen in the US since Jim Crow laws were in effect.
Wow, I didn't realize that, that sucks. I can't believe the group tried to use that as an excuse to take someone's pet, how is that even tolerated?

I also didn't realize gypsy was a bad word, I know a horse and a few dogs named Gypsy and I always thought it was a pretty name.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I honestly couldn't watch the video. I saw some pictures and it made me emotionally angry. People really do suck. Especially groups like PETA.

Reactions: JudyG and cos

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
In the USA, this man could probably file assault, battery and theft charges against the people that did this to him. Especially if they have no legal authority given to them by the state or city to step in and remove an animal from someone's possession, such as legit city mandated animal control officers can do.

He probably wouldn't be homeless anymore after the lawsuit.

A more humane and compassionate way of protecting that dog would have been to do what a lot of human and animal concern groups are doing now. They offer HELP for the homeless man...offer to get his dog vaccinated for free, spayed or neutered when the time came and make sure the man has food for himself and his dog from time to time.

Many homeless people stay around the same area and I have read about groups that go into these areas in buses, motor homes or vans that are set up with these kinds of ways to help people and their pets.

They can do free surgeries right there in the vans and help the homeless keep their dogs healthy, and free from reproducing more litters...and while the pet is being cared for, the man can get some food goods and even simple grooming done for himself - if allowed to use a motor home shower or given clean clothes from time to time.

That group from France should have the law come down on their heads and be made to give that dog back. ... and hopefully there are some other compassionate groups out there that would be willing to step in and check in on the old man and his dog from time to time.

Stormy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts