Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I am new to this forum and joined because I am in need of advice. My young cousin, who unfortunately has psychosis and depression, recently was given a dog from his mother as a present. His mother hoped the dog would help him (hes 24 years old) get better in some way. The dog is an ibizan hound dog. Since getting the dog over 5 months ago he leaves the dog in the crate all day with a sheet over it, only taking it out to urinate and eat / drink. I called and reported him to the dog shelter the dog was bought from, they were not help. They came and asked the see the dog. he took the dog out on a leash and they said everything was fine as long as it had food and water.

Do you feel this is animal abuse? I sneaked into his room the other day when he was out and took the dog out of the cage and it urinated all over me.

The kid does not let anyone get near the dog and looses his mind if he catches anyone touching it

Please let me know if you feel this dog is being abused. And if so what should I do???

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Can his mother step in?

I know a lot of people think that having a pet to care for is a saving grace for depression but IMO you have to be in a place where you can push yourself out of it just enough to actually care for the creature or else have someone else there to help. Sounds like the psychosis isn't helping things either.

I don't know if contacting the breeder would help, but maybe? I'd really hope the mother would see she misjudged and find the dog a better home.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Read this last night when you posted it, been eating at me since. That dog needs to be removed from that situation. What is it called when only very base needs are being taken care of, the dog is in a bad spot.

PoppyKenna is right, start with the mother.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Unfortunately, in many areas legally this isn't abuse or neglect. Abuse generally means physical harm was done to the animal. Could be neglect... but if watered, fed, crate is clean, let out to potty, given vet care, dog is in decent shape, etc. probably not going to be considered neglect (legally) and nothing can be done by humane law, other than talking about and encouraging more exercise and time out.

Honestly best bet is his mother hopefully stepping in and making sure the dog is getting exercise and time out of the crate. May mean she needs to go over and go on walks with her son and the dog, being involved in training, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@kmes is right. It's unfortunate, but not classified as abuse most likely. Keep trying to get through to them but there really isn't much you can do. It's very sad. Personally, I would call this neglect for sure, but the law doesn't agree with me. Maybe you can show him some videos of agility dogs or some other dog sport that he would find interesting. If he sparks an interest in that, maybe he'll want to work towards it with the dog. Might help with his depression as well...

Sorry you're in a really tough position.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would talk with the mother and see what her stand point is. If she is on the same page as her son and thinks it's ok to leave a dog in a covered crate day in and day out....I would make that dog disappear to a far away place.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
That's not abuse or neglect under the laws. This isn't ideal for the dog. Such a tricky situation. Is there any way you could encourage him to spend more time with the dog? Could you convince him to let the dog roam around the house/his room? Is this dog housetrained? If not, does he know how to housetrain a dog and could you assist him with it? What about doing agility? Could you spend time with the dog or help care for the dog while he's dealing with his mental health problems? If all else fails, could you convince him to give the dog to you? I do know I wouldn't "make the dog disappear" as that's theft and committing a crime. I don't condone theft and stealing this man's dog could add trust issues to this guy's host of other problems. Additionally, this dog may have a microchip.

I just asked a heck of a lot of questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's not abuse or neglect under the laws. This isn't ideal for the dog. Such a tricky situation. Is there any way you could encourage him to spend more time with the dog? Could you convince him to let the dog roam around the house/his room? Is this dog housetrained? If not, does he know how to housetrain a dog and could you assist him with it? What about doing agility? Could you spend time with the dog or help care for the dog while he's dealing with his mental health problems? If all else fails, could you convince him to give the dog to you? I do know I wouldn't "make the dog disappear" as that's theft and committing a crime. I don't condone theft and stealing this man's dog could add trust issues to this guy's host of other problems. Additionally, this dog may have a microchip.

I just asked a heck of a lot of questions.
The answer to all of your questions is : he wont let me near the dog, his mother and him explained to me the want me to pretend the dog doesn't exist and forget about it totally

The dog does have a microchip. The mother is morbidly obese and near death herself and she will not side with me. Her words to me " if the dog dies oh well" its sickening. I snuck in his room the other day to take the dog out, it peed all over me which seemed to me that the dog hadn't been taken out to urinate. I was thinking of making the dog disappear but I don't know much about the chips? Can the authorities track the dog with a gps?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts