Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy wants to play with every dog she sees, we live on a seafront and so everytime we walk her, it is inevitable we will meet other dogs. There are some nasty dogs, most owners let us know but she recently approached a dog which bit her (warning nip). will she learn on her own she cant just approach any other dog ? if not what can we do to help her realise not everyone wants to play ? Thanks !

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Socialization when young is very important in dogs - and dogs can only learn certain things from other dogs. That said...

Maybe it's not the best venue to socialize your dog if all you're getting is anti social behaviour - not something you want your dog to learn while they are young. Any dog parks around or dog friendly venues?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Having dogs meet strange dogs on leash isn't a good idea. Many dogs feel uncomfortable meeting other dogs on leash and can be nasty, even when they're perfectly friendly with other dogs off leash. Also, plenty of dogs (like mine) aren't a big fan of puppies. Most people aren't good judges of how their dogs are with other dogs, misinterpreting dog body language and lying so they don't seem rude or like they have a 'mean' dog if someone asks. So I would stop having her meet other dogs on leash at all unless it's a dog you already know to be friendly with her.

Alternatively you should research puppy play groups on the area, or meet up groups online for people with dogs. There are lots of places to hear your puppy play you just need to make sure those are nice dogs you want her playing with,

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I agree with everything jagger and traciek88 said.

I just wanted to add that there's probably a lot of communication you're missing between the adult and the puppy prior to the snap and it could just be a fair correction from the adult dog for rude puppy behavior. That said, since you aren't experienced at reading body language, I wouldn't let strange dogs correct your puppy if I were you (unless there's someone experienced around saying it's okay and normal behavior such as a trainer or behaviorist.)

But why are you asking if she'll learn on her own? Couldn't you just keep her away from strange dogs?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My puppy wants to play with every dog she sees, we live on a seafront and so everytime we walk her, it is inevitable we will meet other dogs. There are some nasty dogs, most owners let us know but she recently approached a dog which bit her (warning nip). will she learn on her own she cant just approach any other dog ? if not what can we do to help her realise not everyone wants to play ? Thanks !
So I'm glad you taking your pup out and all, but from a reactive dog's mom perspective I have to say you need to control her better. In my opinion, you need to be the one to stop her before she causes the other dogs to tell her off, she's not going to learn this on her own. She's going to turn into the dog every single reactive owner hates. the " it's ok she's friendly" dog. Yes, she may have good intentions but you never know what the other dogs are like. Enough bad experiences and it could cause you pup to have issues with other dogs. So instead, you need to train her a reliable command to call her off so she only approaches dogs that you have the ok to approach. Until then, no off leash. Don't let her choose, choose for her.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Probably won't learn not to approach every dog on her own...
A lot of the responsibility in teaching it falls on owners.

You'll want to prevent negative experiences and ensure pleasant interactions with and around dogs, especially at this age because negative experiences can have a lasting impact. And not teaching manners/obedience around other dogs now will make it way harder later on because of the reinforcement history (attention, play with other dogs, etc) for ignoring you and interacting with other dogs.

To teach your puppy not to approach every dog out and about, you'll want to teach polite behavior/obedience in the presence of dogs. Recall, attention on you, polite walking, sit, down, stay, etc. and use these skills to manage your dog once taught.

You'll need to read body language of both your dog and the other before and during greetings (should see mutual interest in meeting, also polite doggy behavior) as well as always ask before letting your dog walk up to another dog.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
There are certain things your dog will have to learn from other dogs, some things you just can't teach. What you DO need to learn when it comes to your puppy is how to read other dogs. Some dogs just aren't that nice, some are unpredictable. Maybe your puppies approach wasn't the best, and it was a correction...

The first time we set our dog off leash, he wasn't well socialized, I can't teach him to be social, can't teach him dog skills. He was just over a year old, spent most of his day in a crate but we spent time getting him ready for his first foray into the off leash park. He wasn't really aggressive, just didn't know alot of the dog skills, and he learned very fast. First large dog that he approached, he got right up in the dogs face, really excited, not aggressive and the dog growled and nipped at him. He stood there in shock, could almost see the wheels turning, what just happened. Once he got a few corrections from other dogs, he got the message on how to approach. He learned from other dogs quickly how to be social.

Until that day, he always squat to pee but during that walk - for the first time in his life, he lifted his leg. It was comical to say the least, like it a foreign thing to do, and he wasn't sure how to do it. I do believe that dogs watch other dogs behaviors and learn from it. He learned alot that first day, and the gf learned to relax, be calm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts