Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my only problem with them is having to fend off their selling tactic, I would still be a client. This is also a lesson to me in how one bad interaction can affect a dog.

So this week we get 6 inches of snow and iced sidewalks, Charlie's first snow day ended with a fall, after 2 days he was still limping slightly so I take him in to get checked out. What was suppose to be a routine check up out, turned into growling mess when the vet tech decided to grab Charlie's collar and drag him to the exam area, instead of trying to lead him in with his leash. Charlie has never been dragged anywhere, his training has always been BAT and LAT when we walk with lots of treats and praise for polite walking and good behavior.

So naturally not liking the negativity that is this Vet Tech he resists and she in her questionable wisdom turns the leash into a slip-collar in order to continue dragging him by the neck, this is where I had enough and told her to stop and took my dog away from her. The Vet at this point comes out and offers to take my dog himself to the exam area, feeling a little better that the nasty Tech would not be traumatizing my dog further I hand my dog to the Vet, when my pup (who was always happy to met new people, and give out kisses) comes back he is muzzled and still on the end to the choke style slip leash, I am not happy to see this :mad: my dog is not trained with -R, the only time he's been physically corrected is when I take stuff out his mouth.

To top it off I got to spend the next 20 minutes listening to the Vet tell me my dog is very untrained and not responding to any leash training they gave him, I tell the Vet, he walks and responds just fine to walking on a leash, its' pain and force he doesn't respond to.

I took to HomeDepot afterwards for a quick meet and greet, and you could tell the vet visit really affected him badly. Usually I have to give the off command when he meets someone new or he'll wash your face for you when you pet him, or do BAT to keep him from dragging me to people. That day he hid behind me when someone approached, and after giving them treats to drop for him, Charlie still wouldn't let them pet him. When someone tried reached down and pet him he move away. This is not how my dog was raised to react to people, and I am hoping that more positive meet and greets will erase the one bad experience he just had.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'd be looking for a new Vet ASAP. I don't care if they are the best vets and vet techs in the world, they are ignorant of how to handle stressed animals. I'm a letter writer. I'd send a letter to this clinic and I'd suggest they invest in a copy of Sophia Yin's advice on low stress handling that's designed for veterinary clinics. They sure need it. My letter would include the fact that they've lost a good client with their poor handling of my dog and that I would be spreading the word to all my friends with pets. I'm livid on your behalf and ready to pound on someone's desk. grrrrrr

I'm so sorry this happened. I hope you can help Charlie get over it.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Oh, geez, that sucks. :( I hope he makes a fast recovery. I'd give him a few days break from the "world" and then try again once the stress has worn off.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That's really awful! I work at an animal hospital and we use the least amount of force and restraint as possible at all times. Sounds like that hospital is stuck on old school style of thinking. That is not at all how the tech should have handled the situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
i got frustrated just by reading your post:mad: i agree with grabby... clearly they don't care about your pup. we had a semi experience not to a vet though but a groomer... my wifey gave them an earful and me just the back up behind my wife LOL ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your kind words everyone, I've called for a appointment with another vet for Charlie's follow up. My next point of business will be to get a copy of his records from the old place, otherwise I'll be stuck with just using the billing statements to piece together his medical/health history.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Thank you for your kind words everyone, I've called for a appointment with another vet for Charlie's follow up. My next point of business will be to get a copy of his records from the old place, otherwise I'll be stuck with just using the billing statements to piece together his medical/health history.
Have the new vet request the records if you don't want to ask for them. They belong to you and they can't refuse.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That is terrible :(

When we took Kasper to the vet to have a lump checked out on the base of his tail, we asked the vet to be gentle as he is a rescue dog, fearful with men etc...the vet grabbed him by the collar and pinned him down to check out the lump!! :eek:

We never went back to that vet, and the next vet we used was the best we've ever had. Hopefully the same will be true for you and Charlie too :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Man, this got me TICKED. I'm not sure I'd be accountable for my actions if I'd been there to see that. Poor baby. Keep turning strangers into treat fountains, and definitely look for a better vet who will understand.

·
Registered
352 Posts
When I was younger the vet persuaded my parents to have our family dog euthanized for a situation like this. He had his quik injured by a vet when he was a pup, and didn't like having his paws touched. They decided to muzzle him just in case by shoving a leather muzzle (no see-through visibility like even a wire mesh would provide, this thing was the size of his head too) onto his face which he responded to by backing away, crouching on the ground, and growling. They sedated him and tried the same thing again with no luck, and claimed he was too aggressive to work with.

Vets convinced my parents in their ignorance that he was people-aggressive. Parents agreed at the vet's recommendation to have him euthanized. It was the 90s, and there was still that whole-hearted belief in vets and the belief that pits are inherently aggressive (instead of that they had traumatized a dog in a strange unfamiliar environment with no one it knew present.)

I hope your dog recovers quickly. He's lucky he has you instead of a more ignorant owner.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
that is very shocking! if that were me id be so tempted to slap them! I really would of had a go at them giving them a lecture and take my dog away and say we wont be coming back here again. Is charlie ok now? i hope he recovers ok and not traumatized by it for life.

·
Registered
880 Posts
This angers me. No responsible vet is going to put a dog in a muzzle if he doesn't bite. At my vet, they call you in, they always take my dog in their arms and comfort him, and until he see's the vet, he is calm. Then he stands on his back legs and does the happy dance (Where he jumps up and licks their face if he likes them) and then the vet rubs his belly while getting the checkup stuff ready. He hasn't gone to the vet yet for any emergencies, and I hope to keep it that way. I am so sorry about your experience

·
Registered
318 Posts
What a horrible experience for both of you...can't believe such misguided, pompous, opinionated individuals exist in the vet profession. It sounds as if the handling ethos comes right from the top in that practice. Is it usual in US for your dog to be taken away from you to be examined, or is it just at that vet ? Just so wrong on so many levels. Hope you both get over it and find a better vet. That shouldn't be difficult as obviously hard to find any worse!

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's not that uncommon for a vet to take your dog away to do a procedure, especially if they are wiggly or resistant. HOWEVER, I have never had a vet take my dog for its physical exam. That vet was shockingly bad. Even if the vet or vet tech took the animal I was bringing in to the back, they always felt bad for doing something unpleasant to the pet! I hope you can find a new vet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on Charlie: He hasn't completely forgotten about the Vet Office, and shows a bit of resistance when I took him to the new place. But Upside, the Vet and techs here were a lot nicer to Charlie and let me redirect his attention and calm him during his spaz attacks, instead of trying to make him submit with force.

Charlie has also bounced back to being his usually 'let me wash your face' happy puppy, during meet and greets.

Linda - Charlie, also had a limp from a fall I wanted checked out. They took him in the back for a x-ray. But usually for regular check ups and exams they don't need to take the dogs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So sorry to hear about what happened to Charlie!

To lighten the mood a bit, here's a positive vet story - After our recent move, I was nervous about finding a good vet, because Walter can be fearful around strangers, not to mention strangers who are poking and prodding him. Well, we lucked out on our first try! When the vet met us in the exam room, I could tell right away that he had a way with animals. It was actually mind-boggling how quickly Walter warmed up to him. The guy definitely has his canine body language down pat. He put me at ease just as much as he put the dogs at ease!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts