Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh no. I'm sorry in advance - once you start you're going to be broke forever. :p

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Shandula

They had a kit with a tunnel, a jump, a box, weave poles and a circle jump thingy (technical term)... it was $200 plus $30 shipping charge. I sent the photo's to my bf and he said he can make everything (except the tunnel) out of PVC for much less so that's what we're going to do. :)

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
There are tutorials ALL over the place on how to make jumps and weaves out of pvc. Those kits are usually pretty flimsy and not worth their weight. I have 4 jumps and a set of 12 weave polls all made out of PVC. Plus you can make tire jumps as well. If your BF is handy, it's a great project for him!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I make almost everything I can. We've made jumps, table, ladder (for body awareness), Salo spider (V-bounce), and will eventually build an A-frame, dog-walk, poles and teeter, but he's a ways away from even needing it.

The only thing I'll end up buying is probably the tunnels and the chute.

Edit: I just noticed your "circle jump thingy" haha - tire? :p

Reactions: Sha and Aspen726

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@jclark343

He's super handy and enjoys making things :) I'm lucky!

He built me a huge tack truck for my horse stuff. There are photos on FB I think. It has a saddle rack, 2 drawers, 2 shelves, bridle hooks and a place to hold wraps... he also built a bathroom in our house from scratch :) I better get him on this before we buy that land and he'll be building a house! ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
External Fittings for Furniture Pipe Category | Fittings PVC Furniture, PVC Furniture Fittings and Furniture Pipe Fittings. | U.S. Plastic Corp.
cheapest place I found that has the special fittings needed to build jumps. I made all the jumps for the club I belong to both teacup and standard. I made the competition style ones with the five way. Bought the clip and go agility cup strips. They are safe without any sharp edges. Rubberize all the contact equipment. Made wobble boards and ladders. Refurbished an dogwalk that I bought for $100. NTI global makes durable tough tunnels and tunnel holders. if you are on their emailing list they will notify you of sales. Also chevk out used agility equipment on facebook. Sometimes you can find great deals there on used equipment.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes. The "toy" agility kits are really only good for kiddies who want to "play" agility in the backyard with little dogs. If you want to "play" agility in the backyard, these are OK although they won't last long. If you have ANY hope of competing, you need to get durable equipment. Don't get a tunnel - the real ones are expensive. The real ones allow the dogs to "bank" on the sides, increasing speed while the dog goes through the tunnel. The soft fabric ones in the toy kits cause dogs to run through them very slowly as they can't bank the sides. The kit jumps are made from thin plastic that can easily break, and the "weaves" are only six and also thin. Someone is making big bucks off of those fake agility kits. :)

As said, you can make your own. Just forego the tunnel, as it isn't important for a back yard agility course anyway. My back yard has only jumps, a pause table and an old teeter. In order to truly train in the back yard, you really only need the jumps.

Reactions: agility collie mom

·
Registered
176 Posts
@Aspen726 When you get your chute, can you let me know if the chute part can easily be folded back? I'm wondering if I could use it as a tunnel for a little while? That long tunnel I got Molly is so long, it won't even fit in the living room without making two round turns. LOL! :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts