Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...an extremely long story short, I adopted two puppies yesterday :eek:
I went to an event to help out with the humane society. They had a bus set up with a couple of adoptable dogs. I had no intention of adopting one let alone two...but these puppies had a different plan. They were the last two who needed a home and were going to be scheduled for euth if not adopted within the next couple days which I couldn't believe nobody had adopted at least one! I just couldn't leave them....now I have 3 dogs, pray for me! lol

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Congrats! It's wonderful you could save both puppies.

Nevertheless, I'd recommend that you start researching littermate syndrome. You may want to think about finding a home for one of the two puppies now before you get too attached.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think littermate syndrome gets blamed for too many things. Just keep both pups as separate dogs, not treated as one. Train separately, walk separately, feed separately, crate train separately, feed separately, etc. Sometimes dogs mature into a one-dog household type of dog regardless and littermate syndrome gets blamed for it. I'm not saying it can't happen, it's just not the end-all to all issues between 2 dogs living in the same household.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!
I'm very happy that I was able to rescue both. As far as littermate syndrome goes I've done a lot of research about it over the last year and also spoke with our vet about it too. When I got Teddy, my father bought his sister Lola. We all lived in the same house for the first six months of their lives. Teddy and Lola spent a lot of time apart and probably played about 2-4 hours together a day. When they moved to CO, Teddy did great! I guess that's because I made sure feedings, sleeping, walks, and all training were always separated.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
There adorable :), that's awesome that you took both of them in.
Do you know what breed's they are?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Thank you!
I'm very happy that I was able to rescue both. As far as littermate syndrome goes I've done a lot of research about it over the last year and also spoke with our vet about it too. When I got Teddy, my father bought his sister Lola. We all lived in the same house for the first six months of their lives. Teddy and Lola spent a lot of time apart and probably played about 2-4 hours together a day. When they moved to CO, Teddy did great! I guess that's because I made sure feedings, sleeping, walks, and all training were always separated.
Excellent! This is what I was hoping to hear. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts