Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't say that Cobber never barked before, but I have noticed that just this past week (he's about 4-1/2 mos old now), he has started barking territorially at everyone who walks by and anything he deems new or out of place, and once he starts barking, he won't stop. That's the real issue.

Our house is one of about 8 on the street, but the yards/lots are wide open. I think Cobber probably figures everything he can see is part of his domain :) As a result, someone walking in the street or on the opposite sidewalk -- which is totally fine -- is something he barks in alarm about. Next door neighbors who he would happily go up to before are now setting off this same barking alarm behavior. It's like suddenly he sees everyone/everything as a threat, and that's new behavior for him.

So I'm guessing this is part of the next phase of his development, and I don't mind that he alerts me to people or things, because part of why I got him was for a certain amount of alerting since I live alone. But it's going from an alert to being downright obnoxious.

I've read that picking him up and taking him inside is the wrong thing to do because it's like praise for his behavior. At 6am, I'm not comfortable just letting him bark at something till he settles because I don't want to get run out of the neighborhood.

I've tried "leave it" with treat, distracting him with treat or toy, and walking in the opposite direction, but he continues to bark and look back towards where the thing/person was even if we're on the other side of the house and he can't see it anymore.

So, what's the correct way to acknowledge that there is someone there or something new there, thank him for letting me know, but then getting him to be okay with it so the barking doesn't go on and on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Tessa got the same way around 4 months. Suddenly the street is hers and how dare people decide to walk done it. She especially hates the neighbours cats that like to lay on our front lawn. I'm trying to work on LAT (Look at that) with Tessa for when she barks out the window. So far it's slightly better, but not by much.

LAT

1 - 2 of 2 Posts