Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello dog forum! It's been been awhile since I've been here. Life is pretty busy. But that's not what this post is about..

Last Friday I took Chester to the vet for just an update on shots and a checkup. They did a blood test and I was unfortunately surprised with the results. Chester tested positive for Anaplasma. Anaplasma is a tick borne disease similar, but not as serious as Lyme disease. He is vaccinated against Lyme disease and I normally use a tick prevention topical. Tick season has just started here in Canada so I hadn't yet given him his topical for this year. I wish I hadn't waited to apply the tick prevention. The ticks are out early this year. But only one tick is enough to make a dog sick.

The reason of this post is just to let other dog owners know that just because you may have a Lyme vaccination, your dog is not immune to things that ticks carry. Use tick prevention before tick season. Don't be like me! :p

Thankfully Chester was in the early stages and he's mostly okay, but his tail joint is swollen thanks to the disease. He has started his treatment of 2 weeks of Doxyxyline so he will be fine. If anyone else has heard of Anaplasma, I'd welcome any more information on it. Thank you for reading.

This is a picture of Chester in the vet's office:

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Ah, poor Chester. Good thing you caught it!

I don't know too much about tick borne diseases except that I'm afraid of them all. Seriously, if I could ban ONE creature from the planet, it would be ticks.

We used to do a topical prevention but last year I tried the Seresto collar on my cat and loved it so much I put it on all the dogs too. I wish it lasted 12 months instead of 8, but it's still super convenient.

I hope Chester gets to feeling better!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, poor Chester. Good thing you caught it!

I don't know too much about tick borne diseases except that I'm afraid of them all. Seriously, if I could ban ONE creature from the planet, it would be ticks.

We used to do a topical prevention but last year I tried the Seresto collar on my cat and loved it so much I put it on all the dogs too. I wish it lasted 12 months instead of 8, but it's still super convenient.

I hope Chester gets to feeling better!!
I completely. As someone who has gotten Lyme disease I'd kill all ticks in a heartbeat. I'll look into that collar. Thanks for your kind words.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Jeru, nice to "see" you again! Too bad it's not under better circumstances :(

I'm glad Chester is going to be ok. I hope the treatment goes smoothly. Ticks really creep me out. Thankfully where I live ticks are really not an issue, so I don't have to worry about them.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts