Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog was licking his anal area a lot more than normal so we took him to the vet and got his glands expressed. Gave him an anti inflammatory shot also.
He (the dog, not the Vet) was fine for a month and now he's doing it again. Wearing the fur off with all the licking - no bleeding yet.

My question is: Is this something an owner can do or do I have to take him in every month at $125 a crack? no pun intended......

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Some dogs never have a problem with their anal gland, some do. Ours has to have our Vet express hers every two to three months, but $125.00 seems a bit steep if that's all that was done. I pay $28.00 or $29.00 to have our Vet do it. It would not be something I would want to do, IMO this is something better left to the Vet to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks, I'll check that price again and probably go back. I would be happy if it was every 2 or 3 months.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If your dog is easy to handle and does not mind getting it done, I would ask around as some groomers do it and would be a lot cheaper. I used to do it to one of my dogs and it is a messy, smelly job but luckily I have not had a dog with a problem for a long time but would rather pay someone else to do it but not for that price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts