Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Maggie is a 4 year old coon hound mix. I have had her most of her life. She has never had anal gland issues before, she has been in the same dog food over a year (Zignature multi-protein formula), her stool are always firm and she hasnt had any digestive issues since she was a puppy. About a week ago, I woke up and she had a large abscess next to her anus. We brought her the vet that day and they prescribed 3x a day hot compress and 1x a day antibiotic and 2x a day anti-inflammatory. The vet asked how long she had been scooting and chewing at her anal gland, we explained that we are very attentive and we saw no signs and the area around her tail wasnt even swollen.

Anyways, fast forward to yesterday, she had a check up at the vet and was prescribed more antbiotics. They expressed her glands manually and stated that the other gland is impacted as well. They suggested that it may be allergies but I have a hard time beleiving that since she hasnt had any other issues and she has been on this food for a while with no issues.

I have been adding prunes to her diet since we found out about this issue.

Please let me know if you have any clues on what can be causing this or things we can do to help her.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Prunes didnt help Jessie although her anal glands were likely due to food and then got out of control. Also came across this when seen this thread Holistic approach to anal gland problems in dogs

has a few holistic remedies in it. Id think you would want a natural anti inflammtory. No idea if it would work on anal glands but when jessies gut get inflamed i cook barley grains and feed the water while i wait for the grains to dry in sunlight. helps calm things down. i will see if i can find any natural remedies for you. could give raw meaty bones to try help if you can afford to

·
Registered
131 Posts
or maybe there a groomer near you that can express them when they are needed. Doesnt or shouldnt cost much. Where i have been you only pay if its full. good luck.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi,

Anyways, fast forward to yesterday, she had a check up at the vet and was prescribed more antbiotics. They expressed her glands manually and stated that the other gland is impacted as well. They suggested that it may be allergies but I have a hard time beleiving that since she hasnt had any other issues and she has been on this food for a while with no issues.

I have been adding prunes to her diet since we found out about this issue.

Please let me know if you have any clues on what can be causing this or things we can do to help her.
I have a hound and the glands used to be a problem. I have used organic prunes for about 5 years. You have to give 3 chopped up in the food every other day until there is relief then 3 times a week for ever. I have tested it and within a day or so he starts having issues without the prunes. My dogs eat Zignature also and I would try a single protein to make sure its not a meat intolerance. That is what happen with my hound he stated having stomach issues. Turns out he can only tolerate turkey any other meat causes stomach problems.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been doing the prunes and pumpkin, she is still on the antibiotics and is healing nicely. I will most likely change her food when she finishes what we have.

I will keep everyone posted if this becomes a chronic issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts