Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name's Joy, I'm a young adult and I live with my husband and two dogs. Our first dog, Sky, we got from a shelter as my husband and I always wanted a husky since we were very young. He's a husky/Shepherd mix and we love him to death. Our other dog was hanging out on the property and we started feeding him because he looked like he was a stray no one wanted. He was very afraid of us at first but warmed up after a few days. We noticed his stomach fur was so thin you can see his skin through it and decided to clean him up and bring him inside. At the time, Sky was outside on a line as we don't have a fenced yard high enough to keep him from running off. We named the stray, a small/medium sized mutt, Oliver. Recently, Sky broke his line and we had to start keeping him in a large crate. It was the largest we could find and doesn't fit in out trailer but there's a roofed shed like thing that we keep it under. I say shed like because it only has side walls and not front and back walls. We've been discussing getting a chain to put him on the line again but he honestly seems to like the crate more. We take him for several walks a day and let him run around in a fenced area as he doesn't try to jump out when we're watching him. We also bring him inside for a little bit most days and he really likes that. Our trailer is too small for him to be inside all the time without going nuts. We plan on looking into a bigger place as soon as we can, but that won't be for a while as we have debts to pay and we have smallish things we've been waiting to take care of until the debt's paid before we can do them.

Now that I've introduced myself and my family, I'd like to ask some questions that I can't find answers to.
Both of my dogs are at least a year old, if not older. Sky, the husky mix, is mostly ok but he pulls very very hard on his leash, sometimes so hard my husband or I almost fall over and when he gets in a playful mood he tries to play with us instead of with toys or something. He actually has very little, if any, interest in toys but tries to play with us. He jumps on us and play-bites/ grabs at us. Also, he's broken every leash we've gotten for him. The only leash he hasn't broken is the one the people at the shelter gave us. If anyone knows of any heavy-duty leashes, I'd like to know about them. That's not really an issue though as he does have one leash that works so far.
I also have a question about Oliver. He is very wary of other dogs and will try to dominate them and/or keep them away from him and since we have two dogs, that's a bit of an issue. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for socializing an adult dog? Can it even be done or should we call it good if he can just get along well with Sky? I can tell he's starting to warm up to Sky but when it comes to other dogs he just isn't having it.

I see a lot of stuff about helping puppies with issues like some of these but I never see anything about helping adult dogs. I want to help my dogs through these issues if I can because then we'll all have better lives but I don't know how. I think maybe I may need to take them to a trainer, or at least Sky, but we don't have the money for that right now and so if anyone can help us please do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome! Lots of advice out there on these questions. One success I had was a harness made by EZ Walk that you hook the Heath to a front loop that significantly reduced pulling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts