Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to write a book. It's just that I don't feel encouraged maybe? I don't stay with the book. I guess I get bored writing it. Anyone interested in reading a chapter maybe every other day or so? :p

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay! I will post the first chapter on Mon. or Tues., if that's good with you...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks for helping me stick with this! :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Title: One Last Wish, Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Mother
I bounded towards home, my kill in my mouth. With every m ove I make, I feel pain. This must be because I am old. I can feel it in my old bones. It is my last litter, after all, that I am nursing.
When I get back to our small but spacious den, I heave the dead raccoon to the ground. I am trying to teach my pups to eat solid food so soon, when I die, they will be able to survive.
I am Catahoula Leopard. That is what the humans said when I was a pup. My father, they said, had a trace of wolf in him, and that passed to me. I feel the wolf’s determination, his ferocity, and most importantly, his independence. I ran away as soon as I was able. I don’t like humans.
Though I don’t know what ‘Catahoula Leopards’ are, I know that my mother was mottled and short-haired, while my pups are long-haired and white. Brown is slowly starting to appear on their small, energetic bodies.
After the five puppies have fallen asleep, I trot down the hill and into the cornstalks. I’m going to see Chrondel, father of the puppies. He is an ‘Aussie’. My litters have all come from him. The three of five who survived birth, this latest litter, look more like him than me.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Chapter 1 Cont.

Because Chrondel lives with humans, I am able to visit him. You could say we grew up together—though he is two years younger than I am. I remember the old days when we used to run up the hills and down into their valleys. Sunshine and flower greeted us as we sniffed the smells. A rabbit here, a doe over there. As I leap the fence separating him from me, I notice that he isn’t waiting for me by the doghouse like usual.
That’s when I see the humans on Chrondel’s porch. Where is Chrondel to growl at these strangers? Why hasn’t he come to me yet? When the two humans start talking, I scamper behind a big bush and try to decipher what the men say.
Did I mention humans are extremely ugly? They have four legs but use only two. Their paws are spread out and strange. These two are white and one has hair on his mouth and head. The other has no hair at all.
Then I hear good old Chrondel’s name. I perk up. Though I can’t understand humans’ gibberish, I try to figure something out. Chrondel needs me to find him!
“So yeah, Tom and Cecile are completely moved out, and they think they want to stay in Wyoming. Say they’re closer to relatives.”
“What are we, anyway, chopped liver? And where’s the dog?” asked the bald man, “Chrondel?”
I know they are talking about Chrondel! I need to help him! But where is he?
“The dog was sent away—a kennel, until they get settled, I think.” The hairy man grunts. “It’s a shame to lock that beauty up, even for just a little while. He has the energy of a puppy and the agility of a cheetah!”
“Yup,” Bald man turns and goes into the house, letting the screen door slam behind him. That sound—so familiar to me—yet alarming at the same time, sent me running.
“Hey!” Hairy man has spotted me. “Gerald, there’s a dog out here! She looks like she’s nursing, too!”
I feebly turn towards the gate and leapt, just barely clearing it. Then I head for the cave; my pups need me. I will come back tomorrow to find Chrondel. I must.
When I settle in
I snuggle in with her and she gives a little contented sigh. Together, we fall asleep—for perhaps the last time.
Early the next morning, I leave for Chrondel’s farm. I hurry across the fields and through the stream, then over the fence I go. The doghouse is in my sights. And so, of course, is the porch. No one is sitting on the porch swing on such a misty, cold, and rainy day as this. And no one is waiting in the old red doghouse.
Chrondel’s dishes and toys are gone. His dog bed is gone; the leather leash that used to hang on a nail above his house is gone. Most importantly, Chrondel is gone.
I sniff around, unable to believe Chrondel would vanish without warning me. Then I smell something that Chrondel has marked on recently: the ground on the left side of the doghouse. As I continue in that direction, I see scuffed paw prints etched into the dirt. I can also smell Chrondel lagging behind, hating the leash’s pull.
“There she is! Harry, come quick! HARRY!” It’s the old bald man. I lurch away, terribly frightened by this ignorant creature. All I was doing was sniffing around, and that was no reason to shout at me.
Just then, the other man, Hairy, came running. He was standing on the other side of me. Cornered! I snarled and the hairy man backed off. He was scared of me, and we both knew it.
Gerald didn’t. He kept on yelling at Hairy to catch me. I force myself to think. Where can I go to get away? When should I bolt? How could I get away?
Hairy edged a bit closer, and old, sallow Gerald stopped his incessant shouting and thudded towards me with his clomping paws. I was not about to let them catch me. Humans may have torn Chrondel from me, but they were going to steal my freedom.
I let out a throaty growl and then started into a series of deep barks that scared Hairy man off. Clunky Gerald was stomping up behind me, the rose bushes with their thorns, and the brick house surrounding me, not to mention scared Hairy, I felt disgusted with myself. How could I let this happen? What was with me?
Hairy was suddenly distracted by a loud musical noise that came from his pocket. The silence disturbed, I turned and ran. Gerald started his yelling again. I think that man is deaf.
When I finally found my way to the cave, I collapsed, exhausted from my workout. Perhaps it was then that oldest pup, a male, died. Maybe it was later. I don’t know. All I know is that he died. First my first-born, then the third, also a male, and lastly the fourth, a female.
I don’t know why. Perhaps the babies had not eaten, or they could not wean off me properly. All I know is that I woke in grief, pain, and deep sorrow. Nothing compares to losing a puppy. But three? I refused to get up, even when my favorite, the female, trotted over and touched my nose hesitantly, trying to see if I had food for her.
I rose after the two pups still left were slumbering to catch something to eat. They had already caught some fish down in the stream and contented bellies moved upwards, then down, as they breathed in their sleep.
Before I caught anything, I went down to Chrondel’s home one last time. I knew it was dangerous, but I had to check to see if my mate was back one last time. by my babies, I notice that one is watching me. It was the smart one—the youngest girl. With her big blue eyes and delicate pink and brown nose, she is the prettiest, too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chapter 1 Cont.

As I gaze out the spider-webbed, dirty window, I know Chrondel is gone. He isn’t coming back anymore. Life with him is departed, ended, concluded.
Beep, beep! Crunch! It is Gerald and Hairy. The humans are back with their beast, who must be as deaf as Gerald is. They will catch me for sure this time if I don’t get out. My insides scream to go, to leave, and I turn without a backward look at my old life. Except for a glance.
When I am out of the stuffy old room, I hurry through the house to the porch door, where I attempt to open it. It’s jammed, and I can hear old, deaf Gerald coming inside with a wheeze and a grunt.
I turn and dash to the human cave, then slip under the dog bed. Human dog beds have their beds propped up, probably with no intentions of letting stray dogs hide, but that is just what I did.
“Harry, let’s go! If ye want to find them dogs, we need to get goin’!”
“Hang on, Dad; I’m getting something of Chrondel’s that Cecile told me about when I called her. She sounded real worried about the mom dog, too!”
Gerald grunts. “More worried about the dog than us, Harry, m’ boy!”
They stop talking, and all is quiet as Harry walks into the cave room. Oh no.
“Here it is!” The man shouts triumphantly, then I hear his footsteps fading. Before long, the house is silent. I wait, tension binding me, then leap out from under the bed and stretch.
Before they get back, I hurry towards the door of the cave. There is a smell coming from a now opened box. A Chrondel smell. Why would Chrondel leave his smell in the box? Perhaps it was what Harry got all excited about. A tennis ball of his?
I left the house, sure that humans had taken my last bit of Chrondel. I did not go back to the cave; but veered to the left. I wanted to die in peace.
My last two pups could take care of themselves. Chrondel could live without me. My time had come. I had only one last wish, and that was to die next to my last pups. And so I turned my ragged body towards the cave and the only family I had left.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
That was awesome had me hanging on by a thread. Have you wrote before?? It's a great look of how animals look at humans. The puppies the way she is so attached. It also shows how humans look at animals. How did you come up with this story?? :):)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks :) I was hoping it was okay. Well, it got kind of mixed up, I think, but anyway, thanks. The next time I will try to get this all up and right! :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) You know how to make a person feel great!
I can finish the next chapter by maybe Wednesday...if you want to keep reading

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW, I've been delayed, the next chapter will be out tomorrow! Thanks for your patience :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I don't mind :):) And anytime on the whole patience thing :):) Today is Tyson's birthday :):) He is now 6 :):) I should go get his presents :):) I can't wait tell the next chapter tomorrow :):)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats! Happy birthday, Tyson! :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chapter 2

I was awake when my bedraggled mother heaved herself down next to me. I nosed my way into her fur, and she licked me wearily. It was only afternoon, but Mother was always tired. She smelled strangely, I noticed. When I snuggled in now, Mother was still. I pushed my head a bit closer. Nothing happened. Mother was still.
What was wrong with her? Why couldn’t I feel her warm breath; the sound of her heartbeat? I just closed my eyes and tried to believe nothing was wrong. I finally fell asleep.
When I woke, it was to the noise something very loud. I scrambled to the entrance of the cave and peered down warily. While Mother sleeps, I am the guard. I watch out for bad things and something Mother calls “humans.”
She told me that humans are dangerous and I should stay away from them at all costs. Mother’s human mistreated her. Mother told me once, when I was very small and all my siblings were around, that humans walk on two paws and have fur only on the tops of their head; occasionally on their mouths, too.
Humans sound scary. I look down towards the stream and see two monsters splashing through the clear waters toward the Valley of Puppies, where I lived in the cave. What are these things? They must be the terrifying humans, I realize.
Without thinking, I let out a frightened yelp. The monsters in the stream look upward, towards Brother and my sleeping mother. They shade their faces with paws that are irregularly large, and as Mother said, spread out. What were these beasts going to do to my family and me? I couldn’t let my mother sleep through this! She must protect us.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chapter 2 Cont.

I rush to the back of the cave, where Mother is still motionless. Brother sighs sleepily and kicks a small paw in his dreams. I rouse him and then turn to Mother. She doesn’t move when I nose her. I can hear the humans getting closer. I whimper. I whine. But Mother is still. Suddenly, the beasts with strange paws are in the valley.
A groggy brother pads to the mouth of the cave. I patter to him, a sense of urgency in my snarl at him. I may be younger, but I am the smarter. We both know that. Brother sends me a look of disdain and continues towards the opening.
Then he peers out. That was our first mistake. Our second was his yapping, squealing, and whimpering fest. He was scared, and I couldn’t blame him. But when the humans heard all this noise, they decided to see if they could trap us. At least, I think that was their plan. My brother was still screeching like a mountain lion cub—and I’ve heard one—and the monsters were yelling at the mountains.
As the humans got closer, sudden quiet enclosed the Valley of Puppies. Mother called the gorge “Valley of Puppies” because she had had so many of us here, in this cave. As I wish Mother would wake and stop this nightmare.
Because they were getting closer every second, I could only send a look of disgust to the brother who’d started this mess and might make our lives quite unbearable. The terrible creatures coming towards us could torture us, or we might “die”. This word came from Mother, before she was sick and old and still. Then she’d had vigor and energy, a purpose. That purpose was to teach her youth the basics of life. However, Mother had told us something I didn’t understand. What was dying, what happened in dying, and when did you die? Mother said that the three of my sleeping brothers and sister had “died.”
I would soon find out, as the humans were trotting up the ridge—headed straight for us. Heart beating, I scrambled for the back of our home, herding my brother along. He obeyed willingly this time. Mother was lying where the humans could see her and I couldn’t let that happen. Why wouldn’t she rise, growl, and scare the predators off, then hurry to reassure us?
“Here’s a cave, Dad! Over here!” A loud booming noise filled our safe-place, our home. Brother trembled and pushed against the wall. I hurried to him, abandoning the lost cause of waking Mother.
My eyes squeeze shut and I try to focus on the fun times Mother, Brother, my other three now-dead siblings have had. There was the time when my older sister saw a butterfly and chased it until her chubby legs gave way as she fell in the stream. It was the funniest sight I had seen, her shocked expression at ending up in the water. Then Brother had stared down a rabbit and we’d all gone chasing after it, chunky paws beating a rhythm on the soft ground as we’d run. Mother had appeared then, and she’d slowly slunk up around the juicy rabbit through the long reeds. When she caught him, we had a joyful feast of bunny meat. Thirsty, we then ran as a pack to the stream, and drank of the cold water.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts