Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's Friday night and we decide we need to go to Home Depot (because we are THAT cool on weekends)

It's Sept 2 and all the Halloween merchandise is already on display! Wow.

Anyways, I was walking our dog down the main aisle, and noticed the Halloween display coming up in view. There was a giant witch that was swaying back and forth, so I took out my treats and distracted him before he got super fixated with it. I knew he would get wound up if he focused on it. Disaster averted.

Half an hour later, after much walking around, I kinda forgot the display was there. We got to the Halloween area, and there was a row of 4 foot tall mummies, frankensteins, goblins, etc. (they weren't moving, but really life-like). Well, my dog got close to them and just froze....and I was too late with the treats. He let out a series of loud deep barks that could be heard throughout the store, and I high-tailed with him out of the Halloween section.

Halloween must be a confusing time for a dog, lol. I'll have to bring extra treats on our walks once the neighbours start displaying all their Halloween props.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
That reminds me of when I was doing a Halloween dog walk for charity. I brought my little terrier and my Aussie mix along. They had a section of forest that was "haunted". Right at the front there was a giant plastic skull. My terrier saw it and sprang backwards, and my Aussie just turned around and looked at her like, "you are such an idiot". Haha.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
One year Katie and I were walking around our neighborhood and there was a house with a giant (like room for a family of four) inflatable pumpkin in the front yard. I was prepared for Katie to at least bark a little. She didn't notice it at all.

Around the corner, there was a house with a small, child's doll-sized scarecrow propped against a rock. I didn't think anything of it, but on our way home we needed to move into that yard to allow a car to pass. As soon as Katie saw it, she started cautiously investigating and randomly barking at it.

Passed the giant pumpkin again - nothing.

She's a weird one.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Our Home Depot just posted a "No Pets" sign on their door :(

I believe neither Lowe's or Home Depot have an official dogs welcome/no dogs policy as a national chain and they leave that open to to the individual stores and/or regions to set their pet policy...so some are pet friendly and other are not.

It is a better policy to let it happen where it works and does not so much rather than a one size fits all blanket policy...which would probably be no pets nationwide if that was the case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts