Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tomorrow I am going to see an amstaff. Right now its living with an lady but she will not be able to take care of him anymore becuase next month she will move to a country where the breed is banned.The dog was found in a shelter about 2 weeks ago. The story was like this: He was borned and ever since kept in chain outside and the weather was like -20 degrees celsius. He was beat up almost single day by his owner until he ate a chicken and in that moment he beat the **** out of him so hard that he could not even look at a person without crying or being scared. This girl told me that she will approve this adoption if the dog will accept me. I feel absolutely fine about this. Lets say i will be able to take him any advices because he is so scared of people and other animals. It has great trauma after what happened. Do you know any way to gain his trust in me and most important to gain trust in himself and to make her understand that not every man is like that douchebag.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The dog was beaten and abused and it sounds like he has severe mental trauma. I highly suggest hiring a trained professional to come to your home and help you with teaching this dog humans are capable of kindness. My heart aches for this poor dog.

You need to be very very calm and welcoming and soft. Are there other people or animals in your home? Children? I sincerely hope there are no other animals or children as this can make for a dangerous situation and will stress out this dog. The dog needs a quiet, calm, inviting place to be for a while. Do you work? Will you have time to spend with this dog for the majority if not all of the day?

Use positive methods only, do not even raise your voice. If he's doing something you don't like, use a positive interrupter instead of yelling or making a negative noise.

It's hard to give you advice as you're not sure what the dogs behavior is like in home yet. There are many on here that will be more than happy to help the two of you when your dog comes home! Just make sure the environment is calm, non threatening, etc.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
how anyone can do that to a dog is beyond me.

Please don't throw a trainer at a traumatized dog right away, that's a make or break.

Spend time with the dog, let the personality change, give the dog some time to figure itself out and get to know you. Every dogs personality will change under new ownership. you won't be able to train a dog like that out of the gate.

I find the best thing is to find another dog in your area that he gets along with, a good dog friend, there's nothing better for a traumatized dog than a mentor dog.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
how anyone can do that to a dog is beyond me.

Please don't throw a trainer at a traumatized dog right away, that's a make or break.

Spend time with the dog, let the personality change, give the dog some time to figure itself out and get to know you. Every dogs personality will change under new ownership. you won't be able to train a dog like that out of the gate.

I find the best thing is to find another dog in your area that he gets along with, a good dog friend, there's nothing better for a traumatized dog than a mentor dog.
I actually wouldn't recommend trying to just find a dog to "mentor" your dog. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Goodness! The rudeness could do without!
I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove, this happened to work for this one dog. That is not a fix all to any situation where a dog has been abused. The OP mentioned the dog is terrified of people and other animals. Why on earth anyone would suggest forcing interaction with a dog that is known to be terrified of other animals I can't fathom. Dogs are not mentors. Dogs behave as dogs. Forcing an abused, terrified dog to interact with another dog when it has been stated that the dog is scared of other animals is just idiotic in my brutally honest opinion. Let's not suggest anything to further damage this poor dog.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Goodness! The rudeness could do without!
I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove, this happened to work for this one dog. That is not a fix all to any situation where a dog has been abused. The OP mentioned the dog is terrified of people and other animals. Why on earth anyone would suggest forcing interaction with a dog that is known to be terrified of other animals I can't fathom. Dogs are not mentors. Dogs behave as dogs. Forcing an abused, terrified dog to interact with another dog when it has been stated that the dog is scared of other animals is just idiotic in my brutally honest opinion. Let's not suggest anything to further damage this poor dog.

Forcing a scared and terrified dog to interact with a trainer can be disastrous, get the wrong trainer and guess what could happen it's going to make matters worse. Dogs do learn from other dogs, I can't teach a dog how to be a dog. You take this mastiff, it's been beaten and abused - likely doesn't know it's even a dog anymore.

So how does one teach a dog how to be a dog? You can't. Cesar Millan, Sophia Yin, Victoria Stilwell, I don't care whom, they cannot teach a dog to be a dog. You need to go bottom up with a dog like this, not top down.

Only a dog can do that - this is why socialization is so important! Dogs learning how to be dogs, dogs learning to get along. You find one dog - one mentor - and the results are magical. You're not forcing anything on the dog, just finding one dog that it can get along with.

Patience and time.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Forcing a scared and terrified dog to interact with a trainer can be disastrous, get the wrong trainer and guess what could happen it's going to make matters worse. Dogs do learn from other dogs, I can't teach a dog how to be a dog. You take this mastiff, it's been beaten and abused - likely doesn't know it's even a dog anymore.

So how does one teach a dog how to be a dog? You can't. Cesar Millan, Sophia Yin, Victoria Stilwell, I don't care whom, they cannot teach a dog to be a dog. You need to go bottom up with a dog like this, not top down.

Only a dog can do that - this is why socialization is so important! Dogs learning how to be dogs, dogs learning to get along. You find one dog - one mentor - and the results are magical. You're not forcing anything on the dog, just finding one dog that it can get along with.

Patience and time.
I suggested hiring a trained professional (behaviorist) so that they could lend a hand on abused dogs behavior and help someone non experienced in this situation successfully introduce a traumatized dog into a new home. I find it insane that you think that's more disastrous than forcing a dog known to be terrified of other animals to interact with another dog in hopes the other random dog will "mentor" it?

So what does he think he is if he doesn't think he's a dog? A cow? A monkey? Dog aren't self aware, but he does know that humans have beat him in the past and other dogs scare him. The OP doesn't even have the dog yet. The OP doesn't even know how this dog reacts to dogs. Neither do you. I think it's ludicrous to suggest throwing another random dog into the mix in hopes it will "teach the dog to be a dog".

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I would find the most positive trainer or behaviorist around and ask them to evaluate your dog. Ask them about their style of training and how they would tackle your dog's issues. If you are unhappy or uncomfortable with the answers find another opinion. It's a bit like finding a therapist, some you get on with some you don't it's a matter of finding the one that fits.

On the throwing a trainer at them issue. This is where the handler becomes the advocate for the dog. OP if at any point you become uncomfortable with how a trainer is behaving it is absolutely fine for step in, ask what they are doing, point out that it's making you or the dog uncomfortable and the choose to continue/discontinue the session(s).

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
Using another dog to mentor a dog depends entirely on the traumatized dog and what their fears are. If the dog is frightened of other dogs, and it sounds like the OP's dog might be, then using a dog to mentor him is not going to work. The dog will be too afraid of the dog to learn form it. If the dog is not afraid of other dogs then using a well behaved dog, with a solid temperament to mentor it is likely to work.

OP, if you go the mentor dog route you need to make sure that dogs are not one of the things the new dogs is fearful of, then you need to find a very well behaved dog, and one with a good temperament, for your new dog to observe.

If you take on this new dog you are going to need a ton of patience. Do not expect him to come around quickly. Try keeping a journal to help you see that you are making progress even if it is slow. It'll help to try and figure out what he likes, and loves, then become the provider of those things. Do not force attention on him, let him come to you, and respect how he's feeling. It's best to give a couple of pets, (on his chest, shoulders, or back, NOT head) and leave him wanting more, then to keep it up till he moves away. I'd move slow around him, and if you notice him startling stop moving, speak softly to him, then start moving slow again. That'll hopefully help him realize you are not going to hurt him, and that you see he's frightened.

Good luck with him, AmStaffs are great dogs, and most do bounce back from a rough start in life, but it can take awhile.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I know what I'm about to say isn't quite a popular opinion, but take it for what it is...

Amstaff - or pitbull in general - seem to have the ability to come out of the worst possible environments, able to surrender and learn to trust again. Many of these dogs have become loving family pets. And I say that moreso with the pit type dog than any other dog.

Don't try to train the dog, just let it be. It likely doesn't have much in the way of personality at the moment, but it's something you need to allow to develop. Any time a dog is rehomed for any reason, their personality changes. Monty for example isn't the dog he was.

I push mentor - because the right dog can be magical. I said before that I wanted a mentor dog, and that's exactly what I have in him. For example, spent an hour and a half at an off leash park today, met a small cross breed, poor thing was so stressed it was frothing at the mouth. That little guy attached himself to Monty's cool and calm energy for the 10 or so minutes that I was speaking with his owner. The change in the little guy was immediate.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I know what I'm about to say isn't quite a popular opinion, but take it for what it is...

Amstaff - or pitbull in general - seem to have the ability to come out of the worst possible environments, able to surrender and learn to trust again. Many of these dogs have become loving family pets. And I say that moreso with the pit type dog than any other dog.

Don't try to train the dog, just let it be. It likely doesn't have much in the way of personality at the moment, but it's something you need to allow to develop. Any time a dog is rehomed for any reason, their personality changes. Monty for example isn't the dog he was.

I push mentor - because the right dog can be magical. I said before that I wanted a mentor dog, and that's exactly what I have in him. For example, spent an hour and a half at an off leash park today, met a small cross breed, poor thing was so stressed it was frothing at the mouth. That little guy attached himself to Monty's cool and calm energy for the 10 or so minutes that I was speaking with his owner. The change in the little guy was immediate.
In my experience working in shelters many of the bully breeds have proven to be extremely forgiving dogs. I disagree with the training but though, once the dog settles in I think training is necessary and very helpful in giving the dog structure and bonding with the dog. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to train a dog. The key is using positive methods and not aversive ones.

I still stand by the fact that I don't believe the OP should jump to throwing a second dog in the mix with the known fear of animals, though down the road if the dog proves to be non aggressive and non fearful of dogs / comfortable around them socialization and bonding with a dog could definitely benefit the dog. That is only if this particular dog isn't terrified of animals after all as was already stated

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I still stand by the fact that I don't believe the OP should jump to throwing a second dog in the mix with the known fear of animals
You can stand by whatever you want, I've seen the mentorship work time and time again - and how many times have I mentioned the "right" dog?

Maybe you should open your mind a little more. This forum is about a sharing of ideas.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You can stand by whatever you want, I've seen the mentorship work time and time again - and how many times have I mentioned the "right" dog?

Maybe you should open your mind a little more. This forum is about a sharing of ideas.
And what if the OP doesn't know how to choose the "right" dog? Where would one even go searching for someone willing to let someone else use their dog as a "mentor"? My mind is open to new ideas, I just happen to disagree with this one based on the information given by the OP about the dog. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He Does not have a big problem with dogs. But many of them are start barking at him when we are out but he does not have any reaction. Yesterday when we went out he was scared by a trash can and a man who was doing empty it out. And he jumped like 3-4 meters dragging me after him and after that he just lay down and start crying but that man did nothing literally he just made sound from hitting that trash can. I was not scared but just surprised of his reaction. He smells almost every man passing by im trying to keep him near me because people are scared of him even tho he is wearing muzzle. In house he is the perfect dog..i start playing with him he sleeps well we have fun..but when it comes to go outside..he becomes crazy

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
He Does not have a big problem with dogs. But many of them are start barking at him when we are out but he does not have any reaction. Yesterday when we went out he was scared by a trash can and a man who was doing empty it out. And he jumped like 3-4 meters dragging me after him and after that he just lay down and start crying but that man did nothing literally he just made sound from hitting that trash can. I was not scared but just surprised of his reaction. He smells almost every man passing by im trying to keep him near me because people are scared of him even tho he is wearing muzzle. In house he is the perfect dog..i start playing with him he sleeps well we have fun..but when it comes to go outside..he becomes crazy
Severely scared dogs will scream or cry out when they're scared as if they've been hurt, I've usually seen it in small dogs or puppies but he's been beaten so it makes sense!

Is he wearing a muzzle because he has a bite history? Or for precaution? If only for precaution I might allow people to feed him tasty treats since he's sniffing people that pass and showing interest in them. Maybe start with friends or family members that know the situation so you can tell them to be very calm. Have them get down on his level and feed him a treat and speak to him softly and encouragingly. Don't allow anyone to pet him over his head / on top of his head, under the chin only.

EDIT: if he does have a bite history, ignore that and get into contact with a behaviorist asap to assess him and help explain the best way to integrate him into the world of coexisting with humans. And keep us updated of course! What's the little guys name out of curiosity?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Poor baby though, I want to just snuggle him! I wish we could explain things to dogs so he wasn't so scared :( thank you for the update btw!

I wouldn't overwhelm him with much stimuli for right now, maybe since he's spooked by loud noises try to walk him in quiet areas of the neighborhood. Or play with him in the backyard if you have one. I feel confident he will come around! It sounds like he's trying really hard to trust again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He is wearing muzzle because thats what the law in my country says and because i dont trust him enough to let him without muzzle around people and i might not be able to control him.He did not jump on people since he was born he just run from them. But yea the first reason is that the laws in my country says that he needs to wear muzzle in "public".

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ahhh I see. I'm glad he has no history of bite! Is there anyway you could have friends or relatives come over to your home and bring treats? Play some games with him? I'm concerned about getting some positive human interaction to reinforce that humans are good :) it might even be better if it was in an environment he's comfortable with!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 22 Posts