Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago a puppy showed up at our door and we put flyers up for weeks but no replies. We took her in and took her to vet where she was dewormed and we paid for her shots and got her on a med vet plan. We own 2 pomeranians and we noticed Stella loves to nip the tails of the poms and loves to bite anything she sees.

Does this breed get along with other breeds? We want to keep her but not risk danger to our other 2 dogs. Stella is about 3-4months and growing every day. I have family/friends who tell me I just need to teach her the right way to behave and we are willing to do that.

Just curious on how she behaves with other dogs. We did a DNA and found out Stella is American Staffordshire Terrier, chow chow and Rottweiler. The dominant breed is American Staffordshire Terrier.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There is going to be some rough housing, she is a puppy.
I am sure you have already done a search, (if you have not, you should) and have seen that some Staffies can be dog aggressive. Not every one of them is, some are, and the DA quality can emerge later in life.
People may have delightful staffies and other dogs too, but it doesn't always happen that way.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine is (I think) mostly Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Very similiar to the Am Staff but she's a lot smaller than an Am Staff or APBT but she does like to play rough. I have to be selective with our playdates. She plays often plays with other bully breeds or larger dogs. She has learned to avoid smaller dogs, she's only 9 months but has been learning that different dogs have different play styles. She knows which ones like to wrestle and which ones like to run around in circles. This has been learned since she was about 3-4 months old from scheduled playdates and puppy class and dog daycare.

Like Lucille mentioned, some staffies are great with other small dogs while others may grow into ones that don't. Especially if they have a high prey drive. As also mentioned, DA (dog aggression) can appear later as the dog matures. I think about that often since my pup is still young right now, the only thing I can do is socialize her with other dogs and people (she goes to obedience and agility classes as well as dog daycare) and hope for the best once she matures (I think around ages 3-4?). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. We will evaluate her but if we feel that she might be a threat to our poms then hopefully we can find her a good home that can deal with her. Maybe I wanted it to work so much, but don't want to put the safety of our poms in jeapordy. Is there any place you recommend that would be ideal to adopt her? I live in Houston, texas

·
Registered
712 Posts
oh my she is adorable! If you are considering re-homing her I suggest to do it as soon as possible so she has a better chance of integrating her into a new home while she is still young and impressionable. I live in Canada so I don't really have any suggestions on shelters down there but definitely a no-kill shelter if possible, or search of a shelter that focuses on bully breeds. We have a couple of local shelters here that specifically takes in bully breeds and offer foster homes for the pups/dogs.

Good luck! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts