Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

American Pit/Boxer mix not submitting

5K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  tange 
Depends... beware of pet store training. A lot of them advertise as positive reinforcement only, but will still smack, kick, and jab dogs... so...

I don't know your area, but you could probably find a purely positive reinforcement trainer around. Or, if you have the time, you could do the basics youself. There are some great online resources and tutorials for positive training (Kikopup for example).

@Eenypup
I agree with the dog park statment. Some bullies can do okay if trained and socialized extremely well. Others do not, because of the obvious prey drive and potential for aggression. Just a few weeks ago someone brought their bully dog (I don't know exactly what it was... Staffy, Pit, some mix, who knows) to our local dog park and it was playing fine with all of the dogs... then all of a sudden it grabs one of the dogs by the neck and starts flinging it around (you know that thing dogs do when they have a toy, just tearing their head around all over the place). I don't believe the owner even attempted to get her dog to stop... just stood there and watched calmly as he literally tore the other dog to pieces in the middle of the dog park... it was disgusting in multiple ways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.