Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a second dog. I have done some research online and come across the American Indian Dog. I was very impressed by their looks and history. And decided to visit the main breeder in Oregon. It was a huge shock for me that his kennel looked more like a puppy mill and his dogs did not resemble the pictures on his website. They didn't look well cared for. It made me sad to see these dogs in this situation. I have also come across the hoax sites, I understand that some people have a problem with this kind of dog or with this breeder ? I am looking for anyone who has primary or secondary information about these dogs or who can refer me to a breeder who is not part of the hoax ? Any other advice or info on this breed?

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is extremely sad. I have never heard of this breed. I would like to learn more about this breed. I hope someone can help you. Good luck.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Some people argue that the entire "breed" is a hoax.

I don't know of a good breeder....honestly with a breed like this that has alot of Novelty to it you might have trouble finding a responsible breeder.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is not a pure bred dog. It's a few people (most likely other puppy millers) that got together and are making money selling mutts that they are trying to get to look like the dogs that the Native Americans had. I've looked at that website of the guy in Oregon. He is full of himself and just making a buck. He even admits that these dogs are mutts!

I'm afraid that you will find that any of these people that are breeding these dogs will have the same type of facilities. These dogs are registered with known puppy mill registries. (Well... IF they are really registered to begin with!)

There is no DNA or any health tests done on this so called breed of dog. This is definitely a buyer beware situation!

You can go to your local animal shelter and find a dog that looks like these dogs. After all, all of these dogs look different. So just find a dog in the animal shelter that you like the looks of and has a great temperament.

What type of dog are you looking for? What is it that you want in a dog? If you can tell us what you want in a dog, then we can all help you out to find what your looking for.

:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with Crios-a spitz might work. I met a Finnish Spitz that was simialr to the dog in the link-but Parker was much cuter!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
american indian dogs

Suki,there are no other breeders of "American Indian Dogs"
He is the only one.
He created them back in the late 80's,as he thinks the original dogs looked like.He did not breed them 45 years ago.That is a fable.
They are a mix of different breeds to get the looks he wants.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience at his kennel.
With the pictures I have seen,I found it sad also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
By the picture it does resemble an Akita or Shiba Inu mix which both are Japanese spitz breeds. I've been around dogs, breeding, rescue and assisted with vets for many years and never heard of this dog.There are so many designer dog breeds any more it's hard to tell what exactly has went into this one but as far as pure bred I seriously don't believe it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They're one-person dogs. I've never owned one, but I hear they can be weary of strangers. Native American Indian Dogs are the same way. They're gorgeous, though. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts