Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so we adopted an American bulldog about a month ago, and all my friends seem to think its a pitbull. After all the research ive done it all points to an American bulldog, since they are some what similar in looks no one still believes me. also my landlord says no pitbulls (which is dumb IMO)
so if and when my landlord ever sees in, I need to be able to back up that he is in deed an American bulldog. Can I get some reassurance from people more educated than my friends:thumbsup:. thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Here's the thing. Most landlords that forbid pit bulls also forbid the entire "bull family"- American Staffordshire Terriers, American Bulldogs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, etc.

Even if your landlord only forbids pit bulls, you have no proof that is or isn't a pit bull. If he looks at the dog and thinks pit bull, you'll need to move or rehome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the thing. Most landlords that forbid pit bulls also forbid the entire "bull family"- American Staffordshire Terriers, American Bulldogs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, etc.

Even if your landlord only forbids pit bulls, you have no proof that is or isn't a pit bull. If he looks at the dog and thinks pit bull, you'll need to move or rehome.
well rehoming isn't an option, I would rather move. I'm not going to give him up over someones ignorance. I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes, its also not written anywhere in my lease on what types of dogs I can and cant have so I don't think he could really do much, but be upset with me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
From my understanding an American bulldog is not recognised as part of the bull breed family, however I could be completely wrong. The term pitbull is used to describe a few different breeds- American pitbull terrier, staffordshire bull terrier. They are mastiff breeds and have not terrier in them. I used to have an american pitbull terrierx staffie cross and bull breeds are banned from our local park so I just told the wardens she was a labrador cross and they never bothered me again haha :D Everybody in the park new her and loved her and when I told them she was a pitbull they where always shocked. My response was always 'theres no such thing as a bad breed' :D :D

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
He looks to be 100% American Bulldog. If you told me he was pedigreed, I wouldn't know the difference. That said though, there is technically no such breed as the "pit bull" (usually it incorporates the Amstaff, english staffie, bull terrier and american pit-bull terrier) but the reason these laws are so vague is probably because what constitutes a 'pit-bull' is up to the person enforcing the law.

Like Amaryllis said, if your land lord decides that your dog is a 'pit bull', its a pit bull. Could be a lab-boxer cross, a bulldog mix or any other stout-bodied, short-nosed dog.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Looks Ambully or boxer mix to me, but if there's no paperwork then 'pit bull type' is all your landlord's going to care about.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You could always get a dna test done to show the landlord, but a lot of uneducated dog haters have pretty much already made up their mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts