Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I'm making a modest Amazon order in a few days, because shipping is expensive, yo, and I'm trying to finalise my order and I could really use some input.

Ruffwear Webmaster Harness in Charcoal:

Mia is narrow shouldered, deep chested, and narrow waisted, and has not gotten appreciably bigger in several months, so I'm pretty sure she's done the bulk of her growing. I've measured her several times, and am coming up right at 27" which is the border between Small and Medium. She has quite a long body, but her waist and chest are so tiny, that I'm not sure what I should do, and there's no way for me to see one of these in person beforehand. The shoulder fit is terrible for her in all traditional harnesses... I can't seem to take up enough slack in a larger size, but the smaller sizes aren't deep enough for her chest. So for all you who have experience with these, should I go up or down?

Books

I'm getting:

Plenty in Life is Free by Kathy Sdao
Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas
BAT by Grisha Stewart

I've been through the book lists, but any specific recommendations that anyone has?

Treat Toobs

I am getting some of these: Silicon Treat Toobs by Paww because I haven't found anything here in a good material that I can adapt. Anyone have any experience with these, or others that they would recommend more?

Clickers

I absolutely adore my Starmark clicker, but I need to make a bulk order so that I've got more hanging around, as clickers can be well over $20 apiece here and these seem to be the best price for construction and shape. Anyone have any firsthand experience with these? Are they easy to handle? I am not concerned with the intensity of the click so much as the hand-feel. Karen Pryor i-clickers

Also treat bags! I am interested in getting a second one, and I have a basic round pouch by outward hound, but are there other shapes that I should be exploring? What's your fave?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I love my i-clickers! They're more quiet, but the only downside is if they're in your pocket or your treat bag, they will click when you move too much or bend over lol. But I just love the sound of their click.

To add to the book list, a book I'm going to buy soon is Dog Sense, or (I think it's the same book, just a different title?) In Defence of Dogs. I can't wait to read it. Also, have you read any of Denise Fenzi's books?

As for treat pouches, this is the one I have:

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies-tr...d-100133?_t=pfm=search&SearchTerm=treat+pouch

And I love it. I recently saw a similar one that looks even better, but I can't find the link. It my have been a trainer that came out with one?

Here's a really cool one from Hurtta, which also has a few other designs on their site:

Pro treat pocket - Hurtta

And this one is cool because it has a click pouch with a spot for your finger to click:

Click Draw Dog Training Bag, Magnetic Treat Pouch with Integrated Clicker!

Oh, and I've heard good things about the TreatToob! I haven't bought one yet, but I'd like to as well.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Megs! Ooh, that Hurrta bag looks way sexy.

I'm pretty sure In Defence of Dogs is a book that will be easy to come by at the library, as it's a UK publisher. US published books are so much more difficult to get. I haven't read any books by Denise Fenzi, though I really enjoy a lot of the blog stuff floating around. I just took a look and they look really promising, though like many things they're not shipped by Amazon, so I would have to pay separate shipping. Boo.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Treat toobs: love them but pro tip, same company sells same product for camping/travel gear for cheaper than the pet labeled.

Iclicks: nice enough but quiet. I too adore my starmarks.

Treat bags: for functionality, love the petsafe, but for looks, the OllyDog. Have heard great things about the Doggone Good pouch.

Ahhh! Ruffwear! After today's hike, I so want their Palisades!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The hurtta treat bag is as sexy as treat bags ever get. Wear 'em like a fanny pack playa' :p

Definitely size up for the Webmaster! Ruffwear runs small.

Reactions: BarkyMalarkey

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Omg, I just looked at the Hurtta! Love!

Btw, another I have been oggling is the Running Buddy from KP's site.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Have heard great things about the Doggone Good pouch.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have the Doggone Good pouch. I really like it. The magnet closure is awesome and it's pretty small and has a cartoon dog on it so it's clearly not a fanny pack.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Omg, I just looked at the Hurtta! Love!

Btw, another I have been oggling is the Running Buddy from KP's site.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's the one I was thinking of! I knew it had something magnetic, but it's cooler than I originally thought. I love it! I love that it can be worn with workout type pants without a belt/strap. And it comes in black and pink!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Ive got that I clicker off trademe for $7.99 including postage and love it. Even jess is more obedient and loves it.

Reactions: BarkyMalarkey

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would also throw in some Doggie poop bag. You get a ton of bags for Super cheap on amazon compared to the store prices. I only recently discovered this and will never buy from the store again!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I would also throw in some Doggie poop bag. You get a ton of bags for Super cheap on amazon compared to the store prices. I only recently discovered this and will never buy from the store again!
I go to the dollar store for these, can't beat those prices ;) 120 bags for 2$? Yes. They also have vanilla smelling ones in a box instead of roll for 1$/60.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I go to the dollar store for these, can't beat those prices ;) 120 bags for 2$? Yes. They also have vanilla smelling ones in a box instead of roll for 1$/60.
I feel like vanilla poop bags would ruin vanilla. Definitely prefer the non-edible scents.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The only downside I've found to the dollar store poop bags is that some of them are too thin, and it can be dangerous if you have a hangnail or something when you're pickin' up poop lol! I just use the massive amount of grocery bags that I acquire, but I do miss the scenty-ness of those ones! I love the ones that smell like fresh laundry. There is also a brand of little trash bags called Ruffies, and they have scented ones as well. They're perfectly sized for large dogs, without the bulk of grocery bags. Way off-topic now lol, sorry!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poop bags. You guys are so funny. I am NOT making an international order for POOP BAGS. :p

But you're right, they are usually a pretty good price on Amazon. My favourites before I moved here are the biodegradable cornplastic ones. They're just hefty and nicely sized.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oh... you want speshul US stuff? Just order the entire Ruffwear line! ;)
That's pretty much what I want to do but I'm far to impatient to wait potentially 6 weeks for it to arrive..

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Hang on you guys telling a kiwi to order poop bags from usa?! Heck lol that bit sad as we can get them where we live lol!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts