Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I don't get in trouble for reposting this. lol I seen this on Facebook this morning and I just had to pass it on. After many tries, these people over in England successfully bred a Belgian Malinois and a Siberian Husky in hopes of a new super guard dog. The only surviving pup out of the new litter is the beginning of a new wonderful breed that they are going to call it a 'Huskinois'. I've never heard of a Belgian Malinois before, so I found this article very interesting.

Puppy could be new guard dog breed (From This is The West Country)

Peace & Love!
~Elizabeth

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Neat article. :)

"People have been trying to breed the two dogs for years but for some reason they would not breed and the pups died hours after they were born,"
To me this is natures way of saying "hey stop that". :p

what is silly is mals are herding/working dogs and huskies are working dogs, niether are guardian breeds. I have a feeling the breeders are going to be disapointed. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Neat article. :)

To me this is natures way of saying "hey stop that". :p

what is silly is mals are herding/working dogs and huskies are working dogs, niether are guardian breeds. I have a feeling the breeders are going to be disapointed. :)
Exactly. Never heard of two breed NOT mating to be frankly honest unless it was physically impossible...and they continued with it even after the death of puppies? odd....

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Neat article thanks for sharing!! :)

Since they usually aren't breeding succesfully (As crio said-this is nature saying ah-ah) why are they not crossing similar breeds? Like a different shepherd with a husky...or a Mal with an Akita.

Strange-but I'd love to see what that pup grows up to look like!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very good point. This wouls be considered a 'designer breed'. I think they are focusing strongly on combining those certain traits that they think will make a good guard dog. I just find this rather amazing that there really is a possibility to 'create your own dog'. Now, I wouldn't go as far as going through several unsuccessful litters until I get what I'm looking for. I just find it interesting, just like the 'Puggle'. :)

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Yes totally-it's very interesting.

I don't like very much that people are creating designer mutts on purpose...too manydogs in shelters; However there are certainly some wonderful looking dogs coming out of those crosses. I have always had 'guess what I am' mutts, and prefer mutts ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have found recently that (from what I can understand) they are trying to make cockapoo a full bred dog. Some are working closely with the dog club to make it so. Though it will take lots of time and money, they seem to be determined. After rquiring one, I have to say that I hope this happens, I am amazed with ours. After having her, there will probly ALWAYS be a cockapoo in my home.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I have found recently that (from what I can understand) they are trying to make cockapoo a full bred dog. Some are working closely with the dog club to make it so. Though it will take lots of time and money, they seem to be determined. After rquiring one, I have to say that I hope this happens, I am amazed with ours. After having her, there will probly ALWAYS be a cockapoo in my home.
I don't think it will ever be a pure bred because its a mutt lol. Maybe one day they will AKC register designer breeds.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts

I know that the cockapoo "people" have been working on this loooong before the designer craze...but since the dog has no real working purpose (besides a pet that Iam aware of) I don't think the AKC is going to by into it personally.

iam sure they are nice dogs tho.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
But all dogs were mutts at one point...... They have historys on what is in them and who mixed them and for what purpose....
The cockapoo can be used. both of those breeds were originally working breeds and why they came about. My lab/mix has exellent speed. Most other dogs can not keep up with her. They try but learn to stop and wait for her to come back the other way to do the tackel. But she cant even come close to the speed that the cockapoo has shown to have. I am going to go into agility with my lab/golden and now have full plans on putting the cockapoo in it too. She has proven to be smart, ready and easy to learn. She is very happy in all we do and easy to get along with. Her smaller self makes her cheaper to feed then a larger dog but then there is the grooming, of wich is good for a person to do. I am wondering with the right training, what a great service dog this would be! She (not mine, Im keeping her) would be able to easily reach into bags and fetch things for the handicap as well as reaches things just fine despite the short size. With the speed this dog has, if she ever needed to get help for her disabled owner, she could very quickly. She has a thick compact body that could handle lots of things (wouldn't break easy) doesnt shed easy, (making her to be good for going into resteraunts and things like that) she is a thinker and will find a way to get the job done no matter what and well, I could just go on. Also, they have been living for up to 22 years!! Thats amazing!! Would definatly make a longer living helping hands dog. With her being smaller, she is less pron to some of the bigger dog hip and other problems. I think there is a lot to look at with these guys. I am very impressed.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
multiple cockapoos have lived up to 22 years? or just few? My dachshund was PTS'd at 19 for a freak accident...I understand these dogs can be smart but that does make them quality PB dogs...the PB dogs we have today took a very very very long time to come about.

It takes a long time to even get the AKC to recognize it. The beauceron is not AKC registered...I see that happening before a designer breed.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
heres the thing tho...how many dogs actually WORK now? How many working poodle bird dogs do you know?

Seeing as ninety som'thing percent of dogs in the US (actual numbers are on the web som'where) are nothing but PETS make the creation of a new breed that will for the most part be used as a PET makes zero sence to me. We are euthanizing millions of pets yearly, and Iam positive the majority would excel in SAR ,agility or obediance. Millions of dogs already exist that can do what the designers do, its not like they are filling a new nitch.

I agree with breeding working dogs...I have trouble coming to grips with creating more companion breeds. IMO there are plenty. :)

Iam rooting for the Beauceron people personally.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
ya, it does take a long time. Lots of money, lots of space. LOTS of dogs. I couldn't be a breeder. I couldn't handle that many dogs. But I like to look at it. I mean, study parts of it, like genetics.
I don't know how many have lived that long, thats what was said when I was reading about them, and now I am trying to recall what one said that. I looked up so much stuff Im not sure wich one.....
I just think its neat that these breeders really are working to make it a breed. Even if it takes a long time. It can happen some day. You never know....
Its the same with rabbits. I bred and showed them for 10 years and also worked on a new unregisterd breed. It would have worked but some of its qualities attracted people who wanted a fast buck because they attracted the pet circus with their unusual qualities and small (baby like) size, so they did their damage and now I don't think they will ever be accepted. There are a few new breeds that worked out very well in being accepted. Even though it took years and I mean years of putting it together, they kept it out of the spotlight till it was accepted, not only did that save them but some of their qualities that mostly just breeders appriciate helped too. Its the stuff that pet people see as a cuter then normal pet that gets ruened by "money makers" before they even have a chance.
So, ya, it depends on how it all goes. The cockapoo defiatly has the cute factor. But hopefully it will move past that. I would really like to look more into this "breed" as I dont know what else to call it LOL, I call my lab/golden a breed sometimes too because they are purposfully bred for the handicap, as helping hands dogs. I don't mean to, just comes out like that. But so far, the cockapoo, or at least my cockapoo, seems to be a smaller version if the lab/golden in temperment. It intreages me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, in Kansas, we have working dogs everywhere. We do all kinds of herding dogs, I see them all the time, as well as well as we have the sar dogs and things like that. We have cop dogs and fire dogs in my town and ones in the army. Im not arguing or anything like that, just saying, I see working dogs all over the place is all.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Well, in Kansas, we have working dogs everywhere. We do all kinds of herding dogs, I see them all the time, as well as well as we have the sar dogs and things like that. We have cop dogs and fire dogs in my town and ones in the army. Im not arguing or anything like that, just saying, I see working dogs all over the place is all.

Right...but how many working dogs are cockapoos? LOL

I think we are making points about different things. Also demographics are different...here, in an urban area, I have met ZERO small breed working dogs in civilian homes. In fact I can't say I see any working dogs on a regular basis.

If cockapoos worked I could see the importance of a new breed... OR if we didn't have a surplus of pets already...

I love genetics as well, and would be a breeder if there wasn't so many extra animals that I can't get out of my head.

Most of the pups will end up as pets, even if they are working quality, because people who need dogs for tasks Iam sure aren't clamoring for them... why make more pets when there are plenty already? And when there are existing breeds that can do the job? How does crossing the two improve the dog?

not trying to argue...just discuss. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
not trying to argue...just discuss. :)[/quote]

me too..

I understand what your saying. I have seen some small dogs but not many in the helping hands program. But that doesnt mean there cant be. Only that there arnt many people who think outside the box. And really, you don't have to breed them. After they grow out of the puppy stage and their grooming bill seems a bit high and the fluffy look is to much work, they end up in the pound too, as I think may have been in the case of Bellarose. They go to the pound too. If their tallents are recognized as a usefull dog rather then just a pet, maybe that can help them, right? Nothing wrong with recognizing what talents certin mixes have as well as full breds, right? Now I know I feel there are usefull breedings, as I have stated, but I don't beleive in doing it just cause. If they are out there needing homes anyway, how great it is to make them usefull that would insure them even better forever homes. That is, as long as there are not bad things that have allready ruened them from being such a dog. But not all pound dogs are ruened, many I think would exell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.