Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was at the dog park and this woman had two Great Danes. Cosmo is terrified of Great Danes so we began leaving as they entered. She assumed it was because I thought her dogs were mean and I explained he simply is scared of them and I didn't want to stress him out. She told me I was avoiding his fears and that wasn't good for him. Fair, but I want it to be controlled training if he's going to get comfortable with Great Danes.

Anyway, she let her dogs off and insisted I stick arpund. Cosmo immediately tucked himself and displayed extremely nervous and scared behavior and just as I was going to leave, one of her dog barked very loudly and lunged at him. He leapt back and hid under me and the dog grabbed the side of his neck and pulled Cosmo over!

I jabbed my fist into the Great Danes side/shoulder area and sternly said "OFF" (I only do this when dogs display aggressive or bullying behavior towards my dog and I feel my dogs well being is in danger. This is how I've always intercepted so it doesn't escalate and the dog is usually startled and leaves us alone so we have time to exit) Keep in mind the Dane had him by the neck and yanked so hard he yelped) She screamed at me about hitting her dog and how her dog was just playing, and that he just plays rough sometimes. I informed her that was not play and quickly left.

Am I in the wrong??? I wouldn't never just go around hitting dogs!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If a dog grabbed my dog and dragged them, AFTER I had already pointed out to the owner that s/he was afraid of that dog's particular breed, then oh heck yea I would correct the other dog. Physically if necessary.

And if that person got mad at me, there would be words. Lots of words. And some of them would probably be four letters long.

She's making excuses for her dogs and she's not accustomed to being called on her BS. You didn't do anything wrong.

(It's also none of her dang business how you want to train your dog or if you even care whether he ever learns to be comfortable around Great Danes, but that's not as egregious.)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If a dog grabbed my dog and dragged them, AFTER I had already pointed out to the owner that s/he was afraid of that dog's particular breed, then oh heck yea I would correct the other dog. Physically if necessary.

And if that person got mad at me, there would be words. Lots of words. And some of them would probably be four letters long.

She's making excuses for her dogs and she's not accustomed to being called on her BS. You didn't do anything wrong.

(It's also none of her dang business how you want to train your dog or if you even care whether he ever learns to be comfortable around Great Danes, but that's not as egregious.)
That's what I thought! I've corrected people's dogs before and none of them have said anything, probably because they realize my dog is in danger or overwhelmed. I don't do it to harm the dog, I do it to startle them into leaving me and Cosmo alone.

Experiences like these really make me want to stop going to the dog park. Which is a shame because he enjoys it when people aren't asses, but the decent people are getting harder and harder to find :(

Instead we took a walk up the road to cool off and I let him chase some sparrows in the feild to practice his recall during prey driven activities, which he did well on. Much more productive than then getting pummeled by 120 pound rude dogs :mad:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think some people just can't except that their dog is the cause of the problem, they just want to find some way to blame something else for their dogs behaviour.

I think you did the right thing, your actions were the quickest way to stop the situation from escalating.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think what you did was just fine. You are right if you want him to get used to danes you want it to be in a controlled environment and i'm sure with a little bit calmer danes. Sure maybe that dane was playing but it didn't pick up on the signals your dog was giving. I'm sure the tail tuck, crouching down and ears back and no eye contact. I'm not sure how your dog is but danes are big and can do a lot of damage in a small amount of time. That touch you gave is simply to snap the dog out of the mindset he/she was in. It doesn't hurt only distract. That lady should be thankful that your dog didn't go after hers when he didn't leave your dog alone.

In the end i think what you did was right and that it was best to leave. Dog parks are good but not everybody knows a whole lot about dogs and/or dog play.

You could see if any places around you have a doggy daycare facility.

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't need a daycare, I just take him there to play with dogs and run around and smell the trees and chase a ball. But thank you all!

This is like when people scream "HES FRIENDLY" from across a field and their dog is barreling towards me and Cosmo with no manners what so ever. Chances are they may be "friendly", but also may not pick up on cues, be too overbearing, and cause issues while the owner is desperately calling their name over and over while the dog ignored them without fail.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't need a daycare, I just take him there to play with dogs and run around and smell the trees and chase a ball. But thank you all!

This is like when people scream "HES FRIENDLY" from across a field and their dog is barreling towards me and Cosmo with no manners what so ever. Chances are they may be "friendly", but also may not pick up on cues, be too overbearing, and cause issues while the owner is desperately calling their name over and over while the dog ignored them without fail.

I've had this way to many time in ON-LEASH AREAS, Asha is scared of dogs running at her and getting in her face after getting attacked by 2 dogs last year. The owners tend to get either really upset or angry when I ask them to call their dogs away from her.

Also one lady I loathe has twice let her dog run up to Asha while walking on lead, let it bark it's head off at her, doesn't say anything to me and doesn't call the dog away. Luckily the dog realises Asha isn't pleased to see him and barks from a distance, but I can guarantee it'll be my fault if Asha goes this dog.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
661 Posts
My advice to you is to listen to your instincts next time and don't allow someone to convince you do what you clearly knew didn't feel right.

Anyway, what you did was appropriate.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My advice to you is to listen to your instincts next time and don't allow someone to convince you do what you clearly knew didn't feel right.

Anyway, what you did was appropriate.
I didn't. I was literally attempting to exit that entire time. She let her dogs off leash before I could make it across the feild to the gate and it all went down in a matter of seconds.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I'd have probably done whatever I needed to to separate the dogs.

I will caution you however to be careful using that type of technique when a dog is fighting, it could redirect onto you and bite you. If you can try to stop them before they actually makes contact with your dog and do not touch the dog.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sounds like you needed to use that correction on that woman's nose.

I would so end up in jail if I lived in a larger city where there was a dog park....

Stormy

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
When it comes to my dogs I will do whatever I deem necessary to keep them safe. I agree you didn't do anything wrong, people are so touchy about other people touching their dogs. It's so hard to leave when another person's dogs are all over yours. I'm very lucky that Levi isn't nervous around any type of dog, so it is fairly easy to get him to the gate, even with other dogs hounding him.

There was once this little white dog that would not stop humping Levi. I'm talking seriously non-stop. The owner wouldn't do anything, so I kept pulling her dog off him, and telling him to go away, and she glared at me like I had beat her dog. Really lady?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
You kept your dog safe and I would have done the same.

Consider that dog parks are places where just about anyone can frequent. You have very little control of what other people and their dogs do and when a dog who is uncomfortable around some dogs (like your dog), has an experience like this, it can make the problem worse.

If you plan to return to this park, I'd wait a few days.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I would have been absolutely fuming with the Great Danes owner. She's lucky all you did was poke her dog's neck...

This is one of the things I hate most in the world. We have put so much effort into building Zoey's confidence with off lead large dogs, after she was attacked twice by two different large dogs within a matter of weeks.

She's done really well. The other day some idiot walking an off lead Lab (in a field where the farmer has asked dogs to be kept on lead!!) let her Lab charge miles ahead of her, off lead, and rush Zoey. Zoey did SO DAMN WELL, my bf said she even played a little, but after 20 seconds she was done and wanted to carry on with her walk - that is fine! But the damn Lab wouldn't leave her alone and as she ignored it, it got pushier and ruder (pawing her back, circling, pushing its' face into Zoey's etc) and the other owner was too far away to do anything :mad: :mad: :mad:

Then the owner eventually gets her dog away and my bf (who was walking Zoey on his own) started walking away from them, but the Lab's owner didn't put it on a lead and it came back again!! My bf yelled over "get your dog, my dog is done playing!" and the owner replied (looking very affronted) "she's just being friendly!" :mad:

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I don't think you did anything wrong. You warned her before she even entered. Her dog then came up and was rude and pushy. You protected your dog. If she knew one of her large dogs plays rough, and you are telling her that your dog does not like these large dogs, why would she think this would be a perfect time for your dog to get over it's fears.

I agree with many people in the fact that I would have had a lot of unkind things to say to her had that been my dog. Many of them I wouldn't say in front of my grandparents...

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I wouldn't call it correcting.
You're not training the other dog and you shouldn't because it is not your business to do so...but it is of course okay to protect your dog.

i think I'd have gone right away and say something like "I've got to get back to work" or "I've got an appointment and so have to hurry" or something like that.
I'd personally would feel impolite to openly state that i leave a place because another person arrives, even if it is true.
I think it's smoother and leads to less conflicts to just say you have something else to do.
However I usually don't have problems with keeping dogs away... probably because of the dog type and Sancho being very selective with dogs showing it. he's not aggressive, but grumpy. especially now, when it's getting colder and rains more.
Most people will come and take their dog away, when they see a growling Dogo Canario on my leash. ^^"

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You did the right thing. I can't stand people that think they know what's best for a dog or think their dog is 'just playing' when it's being bully. I'd have done that too and probably said some more colorful things to her.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldn't call it correcting.
You're not training the other dog and you shouldn't because it is not your business to do so...but it is of course okay to protect your dog.

i think I'd have gone right away and say something like "I've got to get back to work" or "I've got an appointment and so have to hurry" or something like that.
I'd personally would feel impolite to openly state that i leave a place because another person arrives, even if it is true.
I think it's smoother and leads to less conflicts to just say you have something else to do.
However I usually don't have problems with keeping dogs away... probably because of the dog type and Sancho being very selective with dogs showing it. he's not aggressive, but grumpy. especially now, when it's getting colder and rains more.
Most people will come and take their dog away, when they see a growling Dogo Canario on my leash. ^^"
I didn't want to lie and I don't think lying would have been necessary. My dog is scared of very large dogs. If she gets twisted about that it's not my problem, its not like I asked HER to leave, but I shouldn't have to lie just to get out of a situation where my dogs well being and mental psyche is in danger. I'm a pretty frank person, and I have told many people that their dog is bullying mine or needs to leave the park because it's causing problems and harming other dogs without sugar coating it. People have gotten angry at me but who cares? As long as my dog and other dogs in the park are safe then I sure don't care.

Clearly though, she should not have even been there. Her dogs behavior won't blend well with most polite dogs and I'm sure someone will eventually tell her that. Either that or she's going to have a hefty weight on her shoulders of both guilt and money when her 120 pound Great Dane crushes a 13 pound yorkie or something of that essence because he "plays rough sometimes"

I also didn't mean to claim I'm training the dog, by correcting I just meant telling the dog no that's not ok get away from us.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would have been absolutely fuming with the Great Danes owner. She's lucky all you did was poke her dog's neck...

This is one of the things I hate most in the world. We have put so much effort into building Zoey's confidence with off lead large dogs, after she was attacked twice by two different large dogs within a matter of weeks.

She's done really well. The other day some idiot walking an off lead Lab (in a field where the farmer has asked dogs to be kept on lead!!) let her Lab charge miles ahead of her, off lead, and rush Zoey. Zoey did SO DAMN WELL, my bf said she even played a little, but after 20 seconds she was done and wanted to carry on with her walk - that is fine! But the damn Lab wouldn't leave her alone and as she ignored it, it got pushier and ruder (pawing her back, circling, pushing its' face into Zoey's etc) and the other owner was too far away to do anything :mad: :mad: :mad:

Then the owner eventually gets her dog away and my bf (who was walking Zoey on his own) started walking away from them, but the Lab's owner didn't put it on a lead and it came back again!! My bf yelled over "get your dog, my dog is done playing!" and the owner replied (looking very affronted) "she's just being friendly!" :mad:
Once this woman had a husky in a dog friendly off leash feild near my house, so I asked "is he friendly? Do you mind if I let my dog off to fetch a ball?" From the corner of the feild with my dog on leash. She said yes he's friendly and assured me they'd be fine. I approached the feild a ways away and when everything seemed fine and they were minding their own business I let Cos off and tossed his ball with his chuck it. The moment Cosmo began running after his ball the husky came plummeting towards him. He noticed and immediately stopped chasing the ball and froze because he doesn't like being hunted, and the husky didn't stop and charged right into his side, plowing him over and forcing him into a roll. Cosmo began running back to me at that point and I was yelling at her to get her dog. The husky charged him before he could reach me and grabbed onto the skin on his shoulder and nipped him, and when he fell again it actually climbed on top of him and pinned him down! He was on his back and looked horrified and I ran over and shoved the husky off of him and gathered Cosmo. Luckily she got her dog before it could do anything else but as she got him she had the gall to say "Ludwick you can't just run up and play like that!"

I was so angry, that wasn't play that was clearly prey drive and my dog could have been seriously injured!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.