Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cosmo and I are currently on our nature walk for the morning and he leapt into the water to chase some ducks. When he got out I noticed how his fur made up most of his bulk, and with his fur watered down he looked skinnier than I'm used to. Now I'm worried! Should I feed him more? He currently gets fed twice a day. Fresh pet slice and serve, and in the afternoon usually gets something raw to snack on but not always. Considered visiting the butcher after we visit the park.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I don't think he looks too skinny at all. I wish I could get my meatball of an aussie to be sleek like that. How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's ten months and was actually weighed just today! 54 pounds. Also thank you, I'm relieved! He's really active, I was just worried I'm not feeding him enough. I'm so used to seeing that poofy black fur!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
He looks in great shape to me! My terrier had a long, double, coat and when he got wet he was like Cosmo, he shrunk down and looked like half his normal size. I wish I could get Zody, my chi x dach, to be in that shape, I'm doing good to keep him from getting any heavier.

Reactions: cos

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Forbes was small like that before I neutered him. It was all downhill from there. Forbes is about 55 lbs as well, but he is probably a little shorter then most aussies. I will see if I can get a looking down picture tonight.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a lot of Cosmo's weight is muscle, he has really strong back legs especially. I was actually hoping Cos would bulk up after I got him snipped but I don't think he really did! He's only gained 4 pounds since then.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
He's still young, with a speedy metabolism. I'm sure if you give it time, he may pack on the lbs. Although I think he looks great now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
His weight is fine, The only thing I would suggest is to feed him 3 times a day. My 3 year old pit is 55lbs but is lean and thin like your pup. I keep him on a raw food diet , I recommend this to everyone. But if your unable to do the raw diet I would suggest a high end protein food. Because High grain foods causes issues down the road. Pit Bull Nutrition has a great write up about nutrition of your feel you need more information. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
It'sNatural that to happen when he's wet! I should find pic of jessie to show you because she shrinks heaps when bathed! You do worry but it also shows the shape off! When she dried she fluff up. Maybe regularly assess his body condition to see if more food required? Looks good to me nice and lean

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@cos - How tall is he? Levi is 22' at the shoulder and weighs 52.4 pounds, and the Vet says he's perfect. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts