Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've recently decided to start looking again for another dog to add the family. Though nothing is set in stone, and we aren't necessarily getting a dog right away. We were actually set to adopt a dog but it was discovered that she was mostly if not fully deaf, and we unfortunetly don't have the right home environment for her. So we decided against bringing her home. For all intents and purposes once we all agree on a dog it is my decision if we actually bring a dog home since its for me and ill be the one actually caring for the dog. And I know my parents aren't going to be much help since they wont even take Sawyer out when he asks them, they ignore him and keep telling him to go get me to take him out. My mom even makes my dad take Sawyer out on weekend mornings, and will only do it if she actually has to, or if she's feeling nice :eyeroll:. Anyways she's been insistent on getting a puppy or very young dog (which is what she did when we were looking before we got Sawyer), because apparently 5+ year old dogs are to old.... while I find puppies cute and all, there a lot of work which is why I prefer adult to young adult dogs for the most part.
Getting a puppy was not going to happen while I was in HS anyways since I was gone for 6 and a half to 7 hours a day. And while I do prefer a older dog, I want to make sure that if for some reason I do find a puppy that I really like that at the moment we would be a good home for it.
Ive recently started collage so my schedule is more "flexible", the shortest time im gone is about 2 hours, while the longest is between 3-4 hours. I do have 2 classes on one day but I am able to come home for lunch for about 2 hours depending on traffic. Tuesday and Thursday im able to leave a bit early depending on how long it takes to finish the class work. Wednesday I start late in the day, and while its a 3-4 hour class I usually end up leaving early (sometimes an hour early (yaa for art classes :p), Fridays I don't always have class since its a mix of online and in school, and its a 8 week coarse so it will be ending in I think 3 weeks, so I will have Fridays free for the next 8 weeks after that. After classes im home for the rest of the day.
So does it sound like I would have enough time to devote to a puppy?
Part of the reason im asking is because I did find a puppy that we all agree on, (he's currently 10 weeks as of when they posted, so he'll be closer to 3 months if we end up getting him), and I want to make sure that im going to be home enough for him. And I want to really think about if im ready for a puppy or really want to go through all the things that go along with puppy hood. Acording to the description, he and his brother are well socialized with people, dogs and cats (they were born at the shelter), and working on crate training and house training. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Puppies are a lot of work.
Why doesn't your mom want an older dog? Older dogs are much easier to care for. Honestly, puppies are in a way a full time job. If you are the primary caretaker, I do not believe you are home often enough to have a puppy. Puppies need constant supervision.

Five years old is plenty young. More most dogs, that's not even half the dog's life. :)
A puppy is a huge commitment. If your family agrees to help out with it, maybe you could make things work but again puppyhood is a vital stage of a dogs life and whatever happens when your dog is young WILL imprint on your dog. I don't know why your mom is so set on a puppy, especially if she doesn't want to take care of it. Kind of sounds like she just wants something cute around the house! :p
Judging by what you've told me, I believe you could take good care of a puppy but I don't think you have enough time to devote to him/her. I recommend talking to your mom about adult dogs more.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
It's not do you have enough time for a puppy, it's are you wanting the sheer amount of work that goes into puppy rearing.

Do you mind potentially having a few days to a few weeks of sleepless nights as the puppy cries for it's mom and littermates?

Do you mind having to get up in the middle of the night for a few weeks for a potty break until the puppy is able to hold it all night?

Are you up for the nipping and biting of hands, feet, clothes, nose, etc, that the cute furry little land sharks seem to love to engage in.

Puppy blues, can you handle them? That lovely, oh my goodness what the heck have I gotten myself into, I'm not bonding with the puppy, feeling, may or may not happen.

Remember, the reason that puppies are so darn cute is so that no one kills them, it's a trap! The cuteness hides a whole bunch of problems that come with most puppies. They do grow out of them, but then the pup hits the teenage stage and a whole new batch of problems crop up... Help, my 8 month old puppy is regressing in training. Help, he used to always obey but now he won't. If you can get through all of it then you'll likely have an awesome dog, but there's a reason that the shelter is filled with dogs that are around that age, it's because puppy raising isn't usually easy and that's the age that the puppy looks like a dog (no longer super cute) and the problems seem like they'll never end.

I tend to like to skip the puppy raising and go for dogs that are 1 year old or older.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rain-

That's the biggest thing I have to think about, the if im I really ready for it. I kinda got lucky with Sawyer, we got him when he was 5 months and except for the being freaked out by strangers especially men, he was a great puppy. He never chewed up anything, was fine in his crate right away and was house and crate trained, and was fine being left on his own. Really the only "puppy problem" we had with him was he developed a love for socks and would steal them.

Woolfe- I would actually happily adopt a 5+ year old dog. Honestly I think that is part of the reason she wants a puppy, her other excuse is "they wont be able to keep up with Sawyer", because that makes sense :headshake: There have been plenty of perfectly good dogs (of various ages) that would have made a great addition, but we cant adopt them because, according to my mom, their either to old, or she doesn't like them because there not exactly what she wants :eyeroll:.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your boy Sawyer sounds so much like mine lol. I feel extremely blessed with Teddy. I got him when he was 9 weeks old, he never chewed anything, slept through the night, was easily trained, he's just fantastic. I'll be rescuing a puppy in the next 3 weeks and I am freaking out haha. You just never know what kind to expect. I wish you luck on your search.

·
Registered
669 Posts
To handle everything that goes into a puppy, you really do need to want the puppy. If the sole reason you're getting a puppy is your mother, couldn't you try to compromise and get a dog around 2 years old? Still young but most likely with all the pains of puppyhood and adolescence behind them.

If you do want a puppy though, there is a way to work around a puppy and college. I did it. Sometimes it takes hiring a dogsitter to come by--which is pricey--and sometimes it means getting a bad grade or skipping class and losing those extra credit never-missed-a-day points because puppy is sick, kept you up all night or ate through part of his kennel.

Puppies need socialization, which is a biggie. When you get home from class it isn't just "Take them on a walk, feed them, play tug and fetch in the backyard and living roomm". It's "Okay, today we'll hang out in front of the nursing home so he gets used to wheelchairs and walkers" "Today we'll go treat-and-train near that construction site to get him used to loud noises" etc. When young they need safe environments in which to meet different, new friendly, vaccinated dogs and dog-savvy people every week. The socialization part honestly exhausted me a little bit with Skipper--I DID go overboard because I chose a breed known to be reserved with strangers. But on the plus side I have a year old dog who runs up to almost all the adult people he meets now to say hi (though he runs if they try to pet him most of the time, but mostly from hyperness rather than fear).

If Sawyer has grown into a healthy, friendly, well adjusted adult you have the proof you can raise a dog the right way. It's up to you to decide if you want the workload :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice every one :).

Im kind of 50-50 on wanting a puppy. At the moment im at the point were if I find a puppy that I really like then I would most likely consider making the commitment. But I prefer adult dogs in the sense of skipping the puppy stage, that being said I don't mind a 5 month old at the youngest.

My mom kind of drives me nuts in that respect. Im the one whose going to be the main caregiver, and it will be my dog and will move with me and Sawyer. While its techniqly my final decision to get a dog she has decided that it has to be under her constraints which are a bit ridiculous. Especially the 5 years is to old thing, when we got my previous dog Sandy, she was 4 years old.
I agreed, like when we were looking for a dog before we got Sawyer that it would be a family decision. Especially because were going to be living here awhile until school is done and I have enough money to move. However I think it should be largely my decision on the dog we get. Not a dog that my mom picked because she thought it was cute, and wont take care of and will not be keeping.
Sorry for the small rant, ive gotten a bit frustrated over this.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'll probably never get a puppy again haha. Don't get me wrong I LOVE puppies. However, after raising two in the past year and a bit, I've realized I constantly say the same thing to myself: "Oh, I can't wait until they are older so we can do x". After these two, I imagine we will probably go the rescue route (As our experience with breeders hasn't been all that positive, but that's a whole other can of worms), and rescue Aussies or BCs from breed rescues, or the humane society, or from a breeder with an older puppy.

Personally, dogs around the age of 2 are my favourite! They've settled into their personalities, they are well out of that obnoxious adolescent stage, house-training is much easier if they're not already, and you can get right into all the fun activities like running, jumping blah blah.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shandula- I feel the same way about wanting to do this and that with a dog in regards to age. I personally want to do agility and work towards a CGC, maybe even dog sledding (with Sawyer too) for fun, with my next dog. And im kind of impatient and don't want to wait to for a puppy to grow up to do certain things :p.

That and if I get a puppy, I really want either a aussie, English springer, boykin spaniel, GSD or a GSP. Unfortuently my mom doesn't like any of those breeds, and she doesn't want another aussie because she wants something different :eyeroll:

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@Sabina88 - I haven't read the other responses but honestly, from what I know about you on this forum, you are 100% capable of deciding. You are very knowledgeable and I'm sure will make the right decision for you, the dog and you family. You are wonderful with Sawyer and I have no doubt that you will know exactly which dog/pup is best to bring into your life. :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
if you want to leave the dog alone for 3-4 hours right away, I'd personally not chose a puppy, but an older dog that is already housetrained and perhaps is already through puberty...depending on the temperament of the individual and the breed, puberty can be very "fun". ;)
There are a lot of dogs in shelters that are suitable for beginners and if you search a specific breed, you could try a breed specific rescue. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts