Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today i took clover pet store shopping and i had 2 experiences that i just couldn't understand. the first, a dog came in to the store she hadn't spotted clover yet, so i asked if she would like to say hello. her parents said no, she hates dogs. just then clover walked around the end of the aisle and this dog starts snarling and growling etc. am i crazy or is this dog not a good candidate to take out to places like pet stores where you are very likely to meet another dog? i mean taking opportunities to socialize your dog and desensitize him/her are great, but really, just bring her in and hope for the best:confused:

second (at petstore #2) i'm waiting in line to pay for my purchases and a woman in front of me sets her little puppy down on the floor. she was a cute little thing, and of course she set her down right in front of clover so he went to say hello. now the woman notices my dog and pulls the leash in really tight and of course her dog reacts as you would expect so i said, "if you loosen the leash just a little she is less likely to get upset when she meets another dog." she looks at me and responds "actually, i don't really want your dog anywhere near my dog...if you don't mind"
now i could see if i had run across the store with my dog or approached her out in the open or something....but come on, were in a petstore, in line and you set her down in front of my dog! i just said " it's a good thing you brought her to a pet store then, to avoid other dogs" am i just crazy?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I hate people like that. I especially hate when they think pulling on the leash is going to protect their dog. People are stupid sometimes. That dog will have serious behavioral issues because the owner is a nut case and will probably be given away in the next couple of months because the owner will blame her dog and say there is something wrong with it. People were always afraid of Harvick, he actually LOVES female dogs and especially pits.

One pit owner (a female too) brought her dog to the dog park, Harvick started sniffing her stuff and the owner goes "OMG STOP!" freaked out, said my dog is crazy and left.

I saw another girl do the same thing when some tiny jack russel sniffed her dogs parts... People should be screened before being allowed to get a dog lol

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate people like that. I especially hate when they think pulling on the leash is going to protect their dog. People are stupid sometimes. That dog will have serious behavioral issues because the owner is a nut case and will probably be given away in the next couple of months because the owner will blame her dog and say there is something wrong with it. People were always afraid of Harvick, he actually LOVES female dogs and especially pits.

One pit owner (a female too) brought her dog to the dog park, Harvick started sniffing her stuff and the owner goes "OMG STOP!" freaked out, said my dog is crazy and left.

I saw another girl do the same thing when some tiny jack russel sniffed her dogs parts... People should be screened before being allowed to get a dog lol
yeah, at pet store #1 clover met one of his new pit friends who belongs to an aquaintance of mine. she is the sweetest little thing(the dog:))....anyway the pits mom is not someone that you would generalize as a pit owner cute older lady who likes frilly pink things. (she is a super sweet lady...she tried to adopt a vicktory dog-georgia, had gone through all the steps, home checks and stuff and got turned down b/c of her home-owners insurance! georgia doesn't even have teeth!) anyway, this guy keeps looking over at her dog and clover who are being pretty mello considering he is around 1yo and she is about 8mos, and sort of snorting and shaking his head. when he left my aquaintence looks and me and i asked if she noticed this guy...she says "he never looked at my face, but he sure was giving us a serious case of the stink-eye" i guess you had to be there and know this lady, but it was the funniest thing.....i wanted to be like "look dude, do you have a problem?" but i just couldn't bring myself to talk to him....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
yeah, at pet store #1 clover met one of his new pit friends who belongs to an aquaintance of mine. she is the sweetest little thing(the dog:))....anyway the pits mom is not someone that you would generalize as a pit owner cute older lady who likes frilly pink things. (she is a super sweet lady...she tried to adopt a vicktory dog-georgia, had gone through all the steps, home checks and stuff and got turned down b/c of her home-owners insurance! georgia doesn't even have teeth!) anyway, this guy keeps looking over at her dog and clover who are being pretty mello considering he is around 1yo and she is about 8mos, and sort of snorting and shaking his head. when he left my aquaintence looks and me and i asked if she noticed this guy...she says "he never looked at my face, but he sure was giving us a serious case of the stink-eye" i guess you had to be there and know this lady, but it was the funniest thing.....i wanted to be like "look dude, do you have a problem?" but i just couldn't bring myself to talk to him....
This is why I hang out with my dogs and not people LOL jk.

We get people who pull their children and dogs away from Glacier when we are walking lol

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I regularly take one of the dogs to Petco, and I get my share of winners myself.

I mean, I get it if... your dog is not 100% perfect in public, but people bring the most inapropriate dogs to these stores. Barking, snarling, screaming, terrified, messes. I have even seen unweaned puppies set down on the floor and allowed to walk around.:eek:

I think most people think they are helping to "socialize" their dog by flooding them with uncomfortable things... what I really hate are the people whos dogs wig out, from over stimulation and the owner reacts by screaming "NO!" and yanking on the dog over and over...seriously...how about you just leave with your freaked out dog..its not hard, certainly less effort and less embarrassing than yelling and yanking a screaming dog.

at work this guy would always bring in his akita mix...the thing was a lawsuit waiting to happen, and I would not have taken such a dog out into public so carelessly. It had no interest in people (including its owner) and would regularly growl at Scooter, my old dog who was harmless and would just lay on his pillow all day while I worked.

The guy always brushed the growling off as a "he wont follow thru" sort of thing...which I didn't buy....It finally growled at me and I said som'thing along the lines of "don't bring him in anymore" but in the nicest way I could. Luckily this guy listened.

The staff loves Chili and has got to see him grow up, they never fail to say how well mannered he is, and hes just being a normal dog, makes me wonder what kind of monsters they see on a regular basis.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
why dont bad owners own not so powerful dogs? LOL It always tends to be chow chows, shephs, shar peis, pits, etc that have the worst owners.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bubby is fine with other dogs, including male, in public places like pet stores. But if we are in the park or in the neighborhood he usually reacts.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Bubby is fine with other dogs, including male, in public places like pet stores. But if we are in the park or in the neighborhood he usually reacts.
And the difference between you, me and crio and anybody else who owns a powerful dog or mix is we try and work hard at making them behave as much as possible :) Harvick is by no means the best dog but I know what situations to keep him out of. Its those owners who do what crio said, "my dog wont actually do it", who should not be out in public LOL.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i also don't get the "oh that's just how dogs act, why should i change it" attitude. no it is not "normal" for your dog to scream and wet himself as you drag him through the building ignoring him with all your might and saying things like "he'll get used to it", nor is it "normal" for your dog to leap full force at the end of his leash snarling and snapping, it is your dog telling you that he/she doesn't feel "normal" in that situation, you need to listen! you are responsible for the dogs actions, the dog isn't he/she wouldn't be where they are without you putting them there, take the time to teach your dog how to behave and show him or her that the world isn't so scary....sheesh

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
:eyeroll: Its so hard to try and correct or help people sometimes. This is the only place I really put in my 2 cents because I find it easier to :eyeroll: online than in person lol.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That's the thing I don't get-my parents have a dog who cannot play with others. So surprise surprise-they don't take her in petstores... and if they do, she wears her soft muzzle. Period. I and anyone with any sense and respect would not expect to bring a pet into a petstore or any environment with other animals and *expect* other animals to not be there!!! OMG I find that beyond rude!

Bahhh but far be it for us to expect others to comply by rules and social norms I guess :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts