Dog Forum banner

Am I giving my dogs too many bones?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  SpicyBulldog 
#1 ·
I give my 4 babies bones every day. They are the same brand,
as I always get the rawhide bones from walmart. I get the big ones the 8 pack for 9 dollars for my 2 year old full blooded American Pit.
And I give my pitskis, (my pitbull had puppies with a full blooded huskey and i kept 2) the small rawhide bones that come in a pack of 16 for 5 dollars, but are the same brand as the large ones. I also have a blue heeler/pit mix who is about 8 months old that I give the smaller bones too.
So my question is, is a bone a day too much? I've always heard bones are great for teeth, and my vet told me my pitbull's teeth were extremely healthy, but never really commented on my other dogs teeth.
They absoloutley love the bones, and is by far their favorite treat. I would honestly feel bad for limiting their bones, but obviously health is more important. Thanks for your time reading my post. :)

#3 ·
@Bob The Dog, Are rawhide bones, not real bones? So you're saying the bones that are from animals are better for them? What are wrong with rawhides if you don't mind me asking, because I don't think any other brand carrys actual packs of bones, rather then single bones. That would be extremely expensive, as most single bones are 2-7$ alone lol. Thanks for your input and I look forward to a reply!

#7 ·
No, rawhides are not real bones. They are hides that have been bleached, processed and glued...As well as plenty of chemicals during the process, including artificial coloring. They are not digestible and bad about causing blockages. The rawhides I do use, however, are from here...http://rawfeedingmiami.com. They are not processed or have chemicals used in anyway. Just real rolled up dried grass fed cow hides, fully digestible. What you are using is VERY dangerous.

If you want to feed bones, feed real raw edible bones like turkey necks, for example. fully digestible, full of essential nutrients, and cleans teeth amazingly. And, DON'T use the smoked ones bought in stores. Those are cooked, and are weight bearing bones witch will break teeth. They also splinter, don't digest and cause blockages and other internal problems.

#5 ·
The rawhides aren't bones, they're a byproduct of the leather industry, coming from animal hide that's been treated with a lot of chemicals. They can also cause choking and blockages if the dog doesn't chew them down adequately.

Just choose bones that are appropriate for your dogs' sizes. Also make sure they're raw because cooked bones can splinter and damage the dogs' internal organs. This lists some bones that are safe to feed:

https://www.rfas.uk/bone-guide

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.