Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooper is 11 months old. He currently eats between 3 and 4 cups of Zignature Turkey. He is 58 lbs and in perfect body condition. I just dont know why I am feeding this much food. On the zignature bag the serving suggestion is 2.5 cups for his body weight.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Is Cooper active? Probably also has a fast metabolism plus still a pup.

Fwiw, I've been rotating between zignature and Earthborn Holistic varieties lately. Just looked at their bags and I'm feeding both Dexter and Leggs more than the bags say too...
Both are just under 20lbs and get 1.5 cups daily. Zignature says they should be eating 3/5-1 cup daily and EH says 1/4 to 1 1/4 cups daily. Both are at a good weight probably a bit on the thin side as they are sports guys. Both are high energy. Just busy dogs. The rest of my crew though is falling into the range correctly and at good weights.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to up load photos of him. For some reason it is only letting one photo per post. He gets a lot of exercise per day. Right now he either gets a 30 min walk or play session outside before work, a 30 min walk with the dog walker at lunch, and in the evening a 3 to 5 mile run.

Attachments

Reactions: kmes

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From above

Attachments

Reactions: kmes

·
Registered
455 Posts
He looks great, I wouldn't feed him any less. He might just be a harder keeping sort. I feed my girl 4 cups a day of the food she's on, while the bag only calls for 3 1/2 (if I'm remembering correctly, maaaaybe its 4, but I don't think so) at the top of the weight range, and she's at the very bottom; I think the bag calls for 2 1/2 cups at the bottom of the range. She definitely has a higher metabolism though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Cooper is 11 months old. He currently eats between 3 and 4 cups of Zignature Turkey. He is 58 lbs and in perfect body condition. I just dont know why I am feeding this much food. On the zignature bag the serving suggestion is 2.5 cups for his body weight.
Sounds about right for a pup. He will probably taper off in the next 6 months and not need as much. He looks wonderful, Keep him slim its better for his hips.
WEIGHT OF
DOG (lbs) SERVING SIZE
(Adult)*
60 pounds 2 1/2 cups
Puppies
Feed up to 2 times per pound of body weight over adult levels.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thanks. I was just reordering food last night and I saw the recommendations and I was like "woah." I just wanted to make sure he was okay.

He also gets a small beef marrow bone and 1/2 a can of tuna with his kong daily.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think he looks at a good weight. Don't take the numbers in the bag too literally (they are only guidelines). Use your eyes to see what your dog looks like. Some dogs just have faster metabolisms as others, just like all people are different. He looks great so don't worry about it and don't lower his portions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts