Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After moving to a house with hardwood floors I became very aware that my dog's nails are too long and I hadn't been cutting short enough. I've been working on getting them shorter, and it's very slowly working, but I want to make sure I'm cutting far enough for decent results.

His nails are nothing like I see in any of the pictures or videos. There's only the tiniest white section, nothing is ever really crumbly, and there's never a pink or light-colored spot. As soon as I get to the section with the thin white ring and black in the middle I stop, even though some sites say to keep cutting. Once I get to the thin white ring he also shows obvious discomfort if I put any more pressure on that nail and will yank his paw away. With my dog cutting past it means cutting the quick. Thankfully I've only ever done t twice and I never intend on doing it again. Does he just have odd nails (or an especially long quick) compared to the dogs in the videos and websites?

The first picture is before cutting, and the other is a nail after cutting. The area that has a white ring with black in the center is pretty tiny.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
It looks like you are cutting the top of the nail. You want to only clip the underside of the nail. If you see that slight ridge you can take another sliver off but they don't look that bad. You can always finish with a file to take alittle extra safely off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts