Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a shih tzu who weighs 11 pounds. Last Wednesday he became ill, we called the vet and they weren't too worried. On Friday he started having bloody diarrhea so we called and took him in. They put him on medication to stop the diarrhea but he hasn't pooped since then. We called today and they don't seem too worried but I am! he's got eight meals in him and Im worried if I keep feeding him, it'll hurt his stomach or something. He usually goes once a day so it's very unusual he wouldn't go for four whole days. Other than that, he's starting to feel better. He was pretty down for a while b he's starting to perk up now.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Best advice I can give you, is to stay in touch with your Vet. I'm going to guess that your dog will catch up on his eating vs elimination process. As long as there is no blockage, they can go a few days without pooping. Also as long as he is eating and drinking the probably is no cause for alarm, but your Vet is your best source of information.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go to a different vet. That is something you need to be worried about and if theyre not worried about your dogs health then you dont need to go to them.

As for the constipation, try getting in the bathtub and getting it all steamy and it will help soften the poo thats getting stuck inside. It is the medicine causing it and I would not give it to him again.

The bloody diarrhea could be caused by a bowel obstruction and needs to be examined asap. Could also be worms, try giving a small extra dose of wormer. Could also be tape worms and you can get the medication from your vet. There is no harm in giving him medication for tape worms even if he doesn't have them.

I hope he gets better and I hope you find a good vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts