Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Karma has decided that she is obsessed with tennis balls. In fact I think she may actually even prefer them over her flirt pole and that's saying something because she loves her flirtpole...

Anyway when we play chuck it(with a reg tennis ball) she'll go get the ball then it's basically a game of keep away(we're working on it) and she likes to run and chew, lay down and chew(always takes off when I approach little brat) etc. And because she chews and is extremely rough with them I'm worried about her teeth wearing down because I've heard that happens alot with tennis balls. I do have a couple of the hard rubber whistle balls that chuck it makes, but lost those. So yeah thinking about getting a few more of the hard rubber ones, but any other ideas? what do you use?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I use the kong balls for Tynan. He's VERY tough on toys and I too worry about the tennis balls and his teeth. Kong seems to be able to withstand his tough chewing.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Any tennis ball specifically marketed for pets should do fine. You'll notice if you compare them to regular tennis balls that they are softer and much less bouncy.

One thing I learned that has seriously saved me a lot of lost balls is to teach your dog to find the ball, and reward them with a high-value reward. Even with a rubber ball that can't take on much scent, I have gotten dogs to actually track them down in the grass. A dog's nose is phenomenal! Sometimes they take a long time to find the ball but for all the times I've saved $6 for a fancy rubber Chuck-It ball... Worth it!!! :D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If your dog isn't obsessed with frisbees but you don't want to use a frisbee we got a flying squirrel chuck it toy today and it's great! The feet glow in the dark so you can see it at night, and it's slightly elevated so it doesn't land flat like a frisbe so the dog can get it better. Also I've read online it's pretty durable. We actually went to petsmart and bought a rope like toy with a nylon stuffed bone at the end and played a bit just outside the parking lot for a couple minutes and it literally broke in 2 minutes so we went back and got this instead and so far it's held up!

Also it floats on water and is waterproof!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes to the Kong balls. My dog doesn't get to play with any kind of tennis ball, ever... we did that for a while, then one day I got sidetracked for about a minute (still in the same room even) and a ball disappeared. It happened SO fast I assumed it had just rolled under a shelf and he had lost interest and we went on with our day... then he threw up two tennis ball halves that evening.

Lesson learned for us, no tennis balls ever ever ever.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Best winter ball out there. I am sure you have seen these but the great thing is finding them in the snow.
As an all round ball, it is great for my dog but a chewer can have this 20-30 dollar ball done in ten minutes or less.
It is also a chuckit ball that comes in a cube as well. (Molly tosses the cube around for hours on her own)

Almost forgot the asteroidz ball from Rogz.
Light, floats, and is surprisingly durable. This has always been my dogs favourite since day one.
Both of the mentioned balls come in three different sizes too :)

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Kong squeakair balls look and feel EXACTLY like tennis balls but are dog safe and squeaky :)

I find the west paw and kong extreme lines hold up super well. JW, too. I use street hockey balls as well which don't hold up as well to the noming but are safe.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
We've got some similiar to the kong ball from our local pet store.
softer balls and tennis balls get destroyed and I'm scared that he'd start eating them.

We don't play much ball though...Teo was a terrible balljunkie, which was just sad to see him so distressed when the ball was out of sight. He'D stand infront of the cupboard for hours, when he knew there was a ball in there..i didn't want to repeat the mistake with Sancho.
he's also not very interested in fetch games...more in holding stuff or scuffling and in general body contact with his family.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I love the Chuck-It balls. Levi isn't an extreme chewer, but I feel okay about other dogs stealing it at the park because it's tough. Levi's current favourite is the Whistler (Chuckit Whistler) I do write Levi's name on it though, those balls aren't cheap.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll check them out!
@Kwenami Karma loves the squeaky air kong balls unfortunately they don't hold up to her at all. This was after one round of chuck it. She was on a long line so I could reel her in so she didn't have a chance to really chew it *sigh* guess she's just really rough with em.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I love the Kong squeaker balls. I play with two and if my dog is thinking about not bringing one back, I can squeak the one in my hand and toss it up and down to entice her to come back with the one she has. As soon as she drops it I throw the one in my hand.

·
Registered
298 Posts
We have the IDC caoutchouc ball, and it is Libby's favorite. Also it comes with a string so I love playing a little tug with her. I think it is the most durable toy we have eve had.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Wow! She really likes to destroy those tennis balls!

I'd honestly highly consider a touch fabric frisbee, as unless the dog sits down to chew at it they're hard to destroy just by chomping on and shaking around. Also rubber balls may be your best option. They come pretty tough!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll check them out!
@Kwenami Karma loves the squeaky air kong balls unfortunately they don't hold up to her at all. This was after one round of chuck it. She was on a long line so I could reel her in so she didn't have a chance to really chew it *sigh* guess she's just really rough with em.
Fair enough. I find that I buy them in bulk so Koda gets a little bit more bored with them ;) She tends to rip them in half and tear off the ball part. Try the jw balls and west paw ones for sure!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts