Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Cooper my lab/husky mix is in need of a new home. I've been trying desperately to find him a home but to no avail. I am trying to avoid surrendering him to the shelter at all costs. I just wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing he's sitting in a cramped dog kennel by himself. So I think I've Coke up with a good alternative.
I keep my horses on a plot of land that I got from my uncle. I do not live there but I am there everyday and when I can't go out. Someone goes for me. There is a couple other dogs that the neighbors have. There is also an older dog that my uncle left behind when he died. He is OLD!! He is kept in a kennel outside and has always been kept there. I was thinking of fencing off a big area by the horses and moving Cooper and the old fart dog over there. Cooper can come out and roam around while I'm there and will be behind the fence when I leave. He will have company, shelter, food/water, and a lot of playmates when he is let out. Do you think I'm a horrible dog owner? Or would this plan work. Even if I could keep him there until I can find him a home. I'd have the time to find a suitable home and won't be in such a rush.
What do you guys think.. Yay or nay?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
This may sound rather blunt, but that seems like a selfish solution, just to relieve your guilty feelings about surrendering him. Giving him the chance to be adopted and live in a home as a family member is the best course of action. I would find a local rescue group willing to take him or surrender to shelter.

Even if you go every day he would still be spending the majority of time without human companionship.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
There's such a stigma about rehoming a dog or surrendering them to a shelter. But if it's the best choice for you and the dog there's nothing wrong with it. I think if you just do the horse farm thing for a short while instead of crating in your home, while still looking for a new home it might be ok. But I think it should just be a short term plan for a few weeks until you find a rescue or new home for him.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Have you investigated the various shelter / rescue options in your area? I had to rehome a dog and was able to place him into a no-kill shelter with the assistance of a rescue group. He was adopted that same day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.