Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.5 year old sweet girl, Roxy, got into something when we took her into the main field in our neighborhood a couple weeks ago. She swelled up horribly, and benedryl didn't help. We took her in and she was given Prednisone for the inflammation. It did help, but her personality changed DRASTICALLY. She's normally the group pleaser and wants everyone to get along and play well. Since starting Prednisone, she's been much more reactive, and has stopped listening to commands she normally obeys, even things as basic as Sit and Shake. We did the tapering down and she got her second to last dose day before yesterday.

It came to a head last night when she went after her 13.5 year old sister Ginger and chomped down on her tail. Ginger snaps back, but doesn't bite. It was a bloody mess, but it looks okay today. Roxy also escalated a fight with her brother Rico this morning over an old toy zebra carcass (what we call just the shell once the stuffing's gone) Rico is the same age and normally her best friend. Luckily, he doesn't have an aggressive or defensive bone in his body and just ran over to me to hide, so it stopped quickly.

Is there an alternative to steroids for any future allergy/inflammation issues, or is this something we'll just have to deal with each time she needs it? She has no major health or skin issues, so I'm really hoping she won't need it again, but who knows. I've had all my other dogs on it for various reasons, and none have ever been affected like this.

Oh, and in other defiant news, she carried in what looked like a piece of poop last night, after everything went down. I told her Drop It, which she normally listens to, and she did. It was a baby field MOUSE. She MASSACRED MICKEY. And then she promptly picked it up again and swallowed it. Luckily she's up to date on all her vaccines, but I have to watch her for that now too. She's so trying my patience and I miss my sweet lovey girl. Ugh sorry this turned into a vent!

·
Registered
93 Posts
What breed is she? She might be going through her teenage stage (different breeds mature at different ages). When my boy when through his teenage stage, he was more aggressive than usual and he didn't listen at all anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts