Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to do some work with Raiden before his neuter, to get him used to wearing a cone-type-thing, and I figured I could try one out with Zoey as she's never had to wear a cone before. I want to avoid the traditional plastic cones. I really want one like this:

Kong Cloud E-Collar, M: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

But am worried it'll just pop within a day and I'll have wasted lots of money :rolleyes: Does anyone have experience with the blow-up cones, and if so which brands have you liked? Are there any cone-type-things that sit on their shoulders (like the inflatable one) but aren't, well, inflatable??

I know there are soft ones like these:

But I think any one of our dogs would wreck that in seconds, as because they're soft they could get them in their mouths and pull on them.

I'm also probably gonna get a Bite Not collar in Rey's size and get him used to wearing that too :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I haven't had any experience with the inflatable kind, but I have had to use both a plastic and the fabric cones. The plastic works well and is nearly indestructible, but hurts when they whap you with it. The fabric, floppy ones are good but are definitely easier to shred and get around.

You could always try a baby's onesie, I personally had enough of the cones and just put Tess in one of my t-shirts put on backwards.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There are special pet T-shirt similar to onesies. You could ask your vet.

I've never had a problem with Elizabethan collar or inflatable one such as the comfy collar. In fact the inflatable was quite popular as it served as a head rest.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The blow up one is a complete waste of money unless you have a dog with a really flat snout. We tried one with Stella when she had a cut foot and she could bring her foot to her face. Then we tried it with Tyrion when he was neutered and he could totally reach his stitches. But after that we did get the soft one for Tyrion and it worked fine. The only thing is that when he had his big liver surgery we just stuck with the plastic one because the soft one has velcro, and he found the velcro noise very upsetting and stressful. If your dog is ok with sounds like that I would recommend it, but the plastic one isn't that bad.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
hard plastic, but only when your dog excepts them.
Teo cut open his whole neck because he ran against things to get it off until the collar was brocken and had sharp edges.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yup...the inflatable rings are useless for most dogs to protect a neuter/spay. They can easily contort themselves and still reach the incision. I tried...several.

Stick with a cone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts