Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me be clear from the get-go; my dog is not "a barker." He is actually one of the least barky dogs I have met.

However, when we moved into our condo there was a whole set of HOA rules we knew nothing about (and didn't know we needed to ask about), and we recently discovered that these rules state that if our dog barks at people (AT ALL. It's totally up to the judgement of the board) he can be removed from our home by force and taken to animal control. While I doubt that would actually be legal, in our area they might do it anyway and dogs have a way of disappearing before their owners can even find out where they are around here.

So my dog barks off the patio at this one mean cat. He also barks at other dogs. And when someone is right outside our door (which is by the elevator), or if someone rides a skateboard by our window. All normal barking times. But I'm concerned about the rule and would like to teach him not to bark at these things, or teach him an alternative method of alerting us.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I mean in all reality I feel that he is already exceptionally quiet, but I would like to take any action I can to redirect him to an alternative behavior. I am not willing to punish him for being a dog, so please no one suggest squirting him with water when he barks or anything like that.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
OMG I am going through almost this exact same situation with our dogs. Thankfully our city is not so much a military state about the issue and there is a lengthy process they have to go through before they can actually do anything, but the difficulty of the process all depends on what mood the ACO happens to be in at the time. We have a neighbor that has left 2 very rude and harassing notes on our front door saying that are dogs are barking for hours and were unfit to own any pets! They didn't leave any of their info so we can discuss the issue with them and resolve it. We're assuming this is a new renter in the complex that doesn't own their condo since they haven't notified the HOA which would have to go through their landlord. The weird thing is that both of our dogs have lived here on and off for 3 years with no prior issues, none of our neighbors that have units directly connected to ours have said anything when we see them, and they aren't barking when we leave or come home so it makes no sense that they would suddenly be barking for hours without any evidence of it. The only times they bark is those usual dog bark times when they see another dog, someone walks past our front window making lots of noise, or the local kids are running around screaming and playing outside. It's just a very frustrating situation when you have an unreasonable neighbor that can't deal the outside world or wants to dictate what everyone else does.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry you deal with that, but I'm glad someone understands! We are renters, and we are already at higher risk because of that, and to be brutally honest we live in an extremely racist area and are definitely the minority here as far as skin color. It shouldn't matter, but it does. To make matters worse, several of my neighbors treat my dog like he is a vicious animal due to his size (he couldn't be farther from it), and resent the fact that I take him on the elevator (we live 7 stories up and I have a mobility problem due to an old injury; I have a medical exception to policy filed with the office and have permission to use the elevator.)

Basically I feel my dog is already being singled out unfairly and I'm concerned someone will take their issues too far.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Your pup is cute, looks like a total monster ? I will say though that the bark collar that he's wearing my immediately put some people off because it looks like a shock collar and they may assume that he's a bad dog because of it. If he doesn't truly need to wear it I would remove it so people don't accidentally get the wrong impression about him. Silly as it may sound you may want to try putting a fancy un intimidating collar on him. When the holidays come around we have a bunch of clients that switch out their dogs regular collars with fancy collars that have sparkles, gemstones, jingle bells, bows, or bow ties. Those dogs that were previously judged by their looks because they're large or a bully breed instantly become cute & adorable and even the most rigidly breedist clients can be seen giving smooshie faces and accepting kisses "evil, mean, aggresive, horrible" dogs.

We've gotten some funny looks in dog friendly hotels when we used the elevators to haul our dogs plus crates, grooming boxes and luggage. Clearly those our guests didn't realize they booked a dog friendly hotel during a dog show weekend and got a room on the dog side of the resort. Personaly as long as your dog isn't taking a dump in the elevator then it's no different than them walking down the hall, just that small square patch of hallway moves up and down.

On my end after the first rude note posted on our gate we put up black out curtains over the front window so they can't see out and won't know when quite people are walking by. A month went by with no notes so we figured that the problem was solved since we had no information on who complained for us to go back and discuss the issue to confirm it was resolved. Then yesterday, a month after the first note, we got a second even ruder note duck taped to our front door, again with no info on who's complaining so we can discuss what they are actually doing. This time though they wrote on the note that it was 8:00am and they had already been barking for "hours", which is perplexing because I left for work at 7:20 and my husband left for work at 7:55. My husband setup a web cam last night to monitor our dogs during the day and confirm if they were barking, the results of the web cam was that Barbie barked for a total of 4 minutes during the day after the neighbor above dropped something on the floor and made a loud enough thud to be picked up on the web cam. He also got off work early today and was able to talk to our next door neighbors new roommate. She has apparently been home during the day since moving in and works nights. She told my husband that she hasn't heard my dogs being disruptive for hours or barking like crazy and the only time that they bark is when people make noise outside and that they settle down after few minutes at most. She was also there when the unknown crazy lady left the note on our door. Apparently from what the neighbor witnessed she heard a dog barking yesterday for a few minutes but wasn't aware that it was our dogs until some crazy lady came by screaming and banging on our door which of course incited them to bark for 20 minutes. After that incident finally settled down they didn't bark the rest of the day and the neighbor said that even she was on edge the entire day because of what she witnessed. Unfortunately she didn't see which direction the person went after she stopped banging on the door since she was too scared to get caught looking and end up in a confrontation with, as she put it, a "crazy lady". We already contacted our HOA about it and the humane society, since the person said she filled a report against us and ruined our recently repainted front door with the duck tape. The HOA said they haven't had a single complaint and the humane society said that there wasn't any reports in their system for against dogs at our address; they also said until it's reported there's nothing they can do about it and that the ACOs don't come out until multiple substantial complaints have been made, so we'll see how that goes. In the meantime, after hearing from the neighbor about this woman's behavior yesterday we're going to be getting a second webcam to monitor the activity outside and get a padlock for the front gate so she can't trespass onto our property and bang on our front door. Anywho thanks for letting me rant about my terrible neighbor.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is an electronic leash, not a bark collar, and he doesn't wear it around the building, just out hiking, etc. I get what you are saying, but my husband is in the army and gone for weeks at a time leaving me in a less than ideal neighborhood.

Really what I'm looking for are ideas to redirect him him toward an alternate behavior.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is an electronic leash, not a bark collar, and he doesn't wear it around the building, just out hiking, etc. I get what you are saying, but my husband is in the army and gone for weeks at a time leaving me in a less than ideal neighborhood.

Really what I'm looking for are ideas to redirect him him toward an alternate behavior.

What's the difference in an "electronic leash" and shock collar?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mostly the use of it. I do not shock my dog to punish him for being bad, or such. However in my area a shock collar is considered a legal restraint, as is a leash. We use it on hikes, runs, etc where he is able to be off leash but legally must be restrained. When necessary I use the vibration setting to regain his attention for his safety.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mostly the use of it. I do not shock my dog to punish him for being bad, or such. However in my area a shock collar is considered a legal restraint, as is a leash. We use it on hikes, runs, etc where he is able to be off leash but legally must be restrained. When necessary I use the vibration setting to regain his attention for his safety.

Sounds like splitting hairs over semantics. You use the shock to modify unfavorable behaviors - in this case roaming too far while off leash. I think most people who use shock collars in training use them in much of the same way. They use the tone or vibration as an aversive method to modify unfavorable behaviors.

My friend uses a shock collar under the supervision of a trainer to teach off leash walking. It looks exactly like the one your dog is wearing but she never referred to an electronic leash. I'd never heard of that so that's why I asked if there was a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts