Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

So, I've been noticing that both of my dogs have super sloppy sits (or "puppy sits" if you want to be nice about it), and I'm assuming it is because they have been routinely rewarded for mediocre performances.
With that in mind, I'm looking to retrain a few behaviors to get them really nice (particularly sits and downs, but there are a couple other ones). I'm going to teach the tucked sit instead of rock back sit because I like it better for remaining in position and I think it is prettier.
Sooo, I need a new cue for "down" and "sit" any ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure about sit but you could say lay down instead of just down. Thats what I use. It's easier that way so that I can train Lucy to get off of furniture on command.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do you need a new cue for all the behaviours or can you transition what they're doing into what you want by rewarding them for meeting a higher standard?

Can't think of any new cue for sit that relates to the behaviour... Maybe 'sit' in a different language? or something like 'pop', only because I think it would be funny to have your dog sit when you ask them to pop a squat. :)
For a new down cue, just 'lay' might work?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts