Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Great Dane is 9 months old (I got her at 10 weeks) and she not especially affectionate. She has always been cuddled and handled..so upbringing is not the issue. She will lay near by where I work, keep track of where I am, and play soccer, but that's as good as it gets. She doesn't mind being pet or snuggled..but it's clearly something she does not crave. She seems happiest when I bring her to the beach or the dog forest (44 acres fenced in). She bounces around,wags her tail, and plays nicely with other dogs.
She is very well behaved. We go on regular walks with no pulling. She comes when she is called, she is never destructive, and only growls when she senses something is wrong. Perfect dog right? But it feels lonely to be with her.
Am I being too human about this? Am I trying to make my Great Dane act like a Golden Retriever? Also, because she is so mellow, it's hard to tell if she is happy. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My dog was a lot like that at 9 months too. She didn't really start getting affectionate until she was about a year and a half. Even now I can't tell if she actually likes me petting her, she keeps this straight, somber look the whole time. I only know that she likes it because she nudges me now, but she never did before. It takes some dogs a bit longer to bond than others, but when she's truly bonded you'll know. You may never have an affectionate dog, but you DO have a dog that loves you, try not to forget that.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Sounds like many of my TMs & is actually what I love them for they are not needy, they like to shadow but not be all over you but will put up with a cuddle(if mum must), lol....

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My pup Mia is 9 years old, and has never been cuddly. She's always preferred to play or to just sleep on her own. But lately, the past year or two, I've started doing a lot of fun things with her, particularly hiking and training. It's really strengthened our bond and now she'll cuddle more and jump up on my bed to be with me. (I've also been giving her treats when she comes to visit me in my room... that might have something to do with it xD )

Just have fun together and focus on building your relationship. I don't know if that will necessarily help with your situation, but it can't hurt!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My first dog was like that,dependent not cuddly and not very affectionate. Never demanding petting and preferred to be outside. She was happy and sometimes playful,and would come to greet you.

Now I kinda accidentally trained my recent dog not to snuggle. Sense he is not allowed on the bed and I don't want him painfully stepping all over me,humping my leg or nipping at me. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I bet she is more attached than you realize. My dog is aloof and that's typical of the breed...I was prepared for that . I jokingly call him a little jerk. My sisters visited ANd told me I didn't realize how much he is shadowing me...he's just more sly about it. We went to visit relatives and when I would call for him to find his location, he was always within 1o feet but just out of sight.

She's in an independent phase too. I think it's great...who wants a dog that size jumping/laying on them all the time? I get frustrated w my aloof dog but I cherish the affection he shows greatly and realize it isn't so terrible when I am around a needier dog

·
Registered
507 Posts
My first dog, an Irish Setter, was very affectionate. My present dog, a border collie, is not. He likes his petting, but never liked to be picked up or snuggled. He follows me around and is a great companion none-the-less. Both great dogs. Different breeds, different dogs of the same breed, can be very different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts