Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog loves fruit. Especially bananas and apples. Because of his scratching I eliminated everything except for his dog food for a food trial through my vet.

Just wondered if anyone's pet has an an allergy to either of these fruits or even carrots?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Do I personally know a dog who's allergic to those things? Nope. Is it possible that your dog could be allergic to them? Yup. For an allergy trial you've got to make sure that your dog doesn't eat ANYTHING except his prescribed diet in order to keep the number of variables down. That includes fruits, vegis, treats, edible chews, everything.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I know that and have not given him anything until the food trial is done. I just wondered if anyone out there has had a confirmed pet with allergies to fruit.

·
Banned
61 Posts
A classic, medically defined allergy?? Highly doubtful. Proteins cause classics allergies and animal proteins about 90% of allergies. There is virtually no protein in either and certainly no animal protein.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
A classic, medically defined allergy?? Highly doubtful. Proteins cause classics allergies and animal proteins about 90% of allergies. There is virtually no protein in either and certainly no animal protein.
Feel free to explain that to AmandaNola, I'm sure she'll be delighted to know that her dog's reaction to corn is her imagination.....

And regardless of how small the percentage is it still needs to be accounted for when managing a limited ingredient diet.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Feel free to explain that to AmandaNola, I'm sure she'll be delighted to know that her dog's reaction to corn is her imagination.....

And regardless of how small the percentage is it still needs to be accounted for when managing a limited ingredient diet.
You said allergy. It is certainly possible for someone or an animal to have a gastric reaction to something but that is not an allergy. An allergy involves the immune system.

A reaction to a raw sugar or starch in fruit is certainly possible but not a medically defined allergy. I get very gassy when I eat roasted beets but I am not allergic to roasted beets. It happens to be the starch in them that gets me gassy.

This has been studied for the past 25 year and 90% of medically defined allergies are common animal proteins.

And in these studies corn is about as likely as rice, 1 -2 %.

Most issues people assume are allergies to kibble are because the starch component is not fully gelatinized.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Like I said, feel free to explain to AmandaNola that her dog's reaction to corn is her imagination, I'm sure she'll be thrilled to discover that the itching rash reaction is not an allergy.....

And regardless of the percentage of risk, its still a risk, it still happens, and it has to be accounted for in an allergy work up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dog has no gastric reaction. It is just the scratching. Just wondered if anyone had a dog that ended up being allergic to fruit. My vet says it is highly unlikely but I don't give him anything other than his food as prescribed by the vet for a food trial.

If the food trial works, then I would like to introduce the fruit again because he goes crazy for apples and bananas but am worried to do so

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Once you get him several weeks on the new food, with no itching or scratching or other signs of problems (thats the key) you start trialing new foods, you could certinally do apples OR banana's (one at at time!) as the first trial.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. That's what I will do. Another question. I just heard that baby carrots are not good for them because they are soaked in something to prepare them? Do you know anything about this?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I knew somebody who's dog had a reaction to tomatoes. That's the only fruit allergy in a dog that I personally know of, but like Ruth said, it's possible your dog could be allergic to anything. After the allergy trial is over, the only thing you can do is start including one fruit at a time for a couple weeks and monitoring very carefully for a reaction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts