Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question lol but can a dog be allergic to part of an animal and not another part or if they were it would be the whole animal?

One more question, my dog is allergic to something, I'm pretty sure a food. He's been to an allergy doctor, they put him on the elimination diet and now that his symptoms are gone they said we can feed one ingredient at a time for ten days on each food to catch what it is. My question is, is ten days long enough for a reaction or should I do more?

Any help is appreciated?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If they are allergic, they are allergic to the whole animal, but it's rare to have a true allergy to a protein. That's usually more of an intolerance. The allergies tend to be from any one of the other added synthetic ingredients in kibble.

How long can depend on your dog. It could be potentially 10 days, or maybe longer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If a dog is truly allergic to a food item, and he/she has that ingredient completely out of his/her system, usually reintroducing that ingredient will immediately cause symptoms (10 days seems more than plenty of time)... most of the time when we do food trials and happen upon the offending ingredient, 24 hours is often enough to see a reaction. So if 10 days go by and you see nothing, very good chance that is NOT an allergy-causing ingredient in your pet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts