Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Athena has environmental allergies and they are starting up pretty bad again. She's been licking so much the hair on her paws is falling off :( we use coconut oil, ACV, grain free diet and benadryl almost daily at this point. I've also been giving her daily foot baths. My vet has no other suggestions other than stronger allergy meds. Any other ideas?! We try to remember to put socks on when we're not home.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why your vet is throwing his hands up in defeat already... unless he's already prescribed a corticosteroid and it didn't work, maybe? I know steroids sometimes have a bad rap, and it's usually not a good idea to keep using them long term, but in Athena's case, it might not be a bad thing to implement for awhile. At least until the edge is off. They work very well for severe allergies for the most part. Maybe you could get an oral, in conjunction with an intra-muscular shot from the vet to get Athena started.

Tiger is on the generic Zyrtec (cetirizine) for his seasonally goopy eyes, and we just had to bump that up a bit as that wasn't working as well this year. We also had to implement a steroid ointment for the last couple of days (NeoPolyBac w/DEX). Yeah, right in the eyes, which isn't going over so well. :( Still, it's only for a couple of days, and there was improvement almost IMMEDIATELY. Like within a couple of hours. It was amazing.

Anyway, maybe you could try the cetirizine if the benedryl isn't cutting it, and you've already tried the steroids...?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts