Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 1/2 yo white American Bulldog/Pit mix. She has been chronically getting hotspots, her belly is covered in a red rash and her paws and mouth are bright red too. We have taken her to the vet several times and all he prescribes is antibiotics. They clear everything up but it comes right back within a couple of weeks. We tried benadryl which did nothing. We started a prescription allergy med (hydroxyzine) about two weeks ago with no change either. We have switched up the food a few times from grain free to currently limited ingredients. She also gets a fish oil and glucosamine supplement. She's not itchy but she just looks miserable. I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

· Registered
18,587 Posts
Look up "systemic yeast infection". Esp since shes been pumped full of antibiotics over and over

Probiotics are a good start toward recovery. SYI are very often misdiagnosed as food allergies
Posted via Mobile Device

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Holly

We adopted Missy 3 years ago from a shelter. When we first brought her home we fed her Nutro. About a year and a half ago we switched to Taste of the Wild Buffalo. Her coat improved but the rashes and hot spots on her belly never went away. We tried mixing it up a couple months ago to the Salmon formula. Same great looking coat, no change on the rest. The shelter we adopted her from suggested instead of the grain free to try limited ingredients. We switched to Blue Buffalo limited about 3 weeks ago. Definitely no change. We started her on the allergy meds the same day so maybe that has something to do with it to.

The vet did do bloodwork last time we were there (2 mos ago) because he thought it may be Cushings. Everything came back perfect. I take her to get bathed every couple of months because I thought bathing her regularly would dry her out even more.

I think I am going to try the acidophilus and maybe some apple cider vinegar. I just feel so bad for her.

· Banned
5,515 Posts
Cushings was my #2 thought, but if her thyroid wasn't tested I'd make sure that is ruled out as well.

Those are good protein sources/food choices for allergies. When you had her on this food, did you give her anything else? Treats? Any people food?

What "allergy meds" is she on?

· Registered
5,688 Posts
I have a 10 1/2 yo white American Bulldog/Pit mix. She has been chronically getting hotspots, her belly is covered in a red rash and her paws and mouth are bright red too. We have taken her to the vet several times and all he prescribes is antibiotics. They clear everything up but it comes right back within a couple of weeks. We tried benadryl which did nothing. We started a prescription allergy med (hydroxyzine) about two weeks ago with no change either. We have switched up the food a few times from grain free to currently limited ingredients. She also gets a fish oil and glucosamine supplement. She's not itchy but she just looks miserable. I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
This is a mini course in yeast infections. It says that that antibiotics wont get rid of it. Maybe there is info in this to help your dog.
Allergy or Systemic Yeast Infection in Dogs | Allergies Malassezia Fungus Candida | GREATDANELADY.COM

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is on 75 mg of hydroxyzine. She rarely gets treats, only when someone comes to visit and they want to spoil her. She never gets table food. To rule out Cushings would my vet have checked her thyroid?

· Banned
5,515 Posts
No, the thyroid would have been a totally separate test. Because of her age and skin issues, in my opinion it should have been tested for but you never know. Cushings Disease and Thyroid disease, however, if not controlled often are associated with chronic skin problems. It's just a theory as to why she may be getting recurring issues when you've done a decent job with the various foods.

You don't see any seasonality to it, do you?

The other problem could be the length of the antibiotic course. How long are you usually treating for?

Do you think the Hydroxyzine is doing anything?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reached out to the vet and am waiting to hear back about the thyroid test. The problems definitely get worse with the different seasons. But the overall problem is consistent throughout the year.

This year she was on three rounds of antibiotics, one with steroids. We stopped the steroids pretty quick because they were making her pee everywhere. The first two rounds were a week and the last one in july was two weeks, 2x a day.

The first 2 or 3 days of the hydroxyzine the redness seemed to dull but after that it came back with a vengeance. Now the only thing I notice is any different is that her eye's are all goopy. Today was the last day of of that script before we would need to get a refill if we felt it was working. I don't think we are going to bother with it. This morning we started her on the apple cider vinegar and acidophilus. Hopefully this will help subside some of the symptoms.

· Banned
5,515 Posts
I think part of the problem is that the antibiotic courses are not long enough and the infection is never truly going away fully.

I don't think she's been on that much antibiotic that she'd get a systemic yeast thing but hey, it's worth trying to deal with anyway. I hope it works for her, it all sounds so miserable!

Your best bet if you see a seasonality to it is to find a veterinary dermatologist in your area (referral hospital, vet school hospital etc). They can then test for seasonal allergies and treat them appropriately. You're coming up on the best time (fall) to have allergy testing done.

If you're in the US, you can search here: https://www.acvd.org/locator/locator.asp

Good Luck-- hope you get some answers.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks :) Just heard back from the vet--they did run thyroid tests too. Even if these new supplements don't work on her skin I'm keeping them because they must have given her some kind of energy boost. She ran for the first time in years today and took a super long walk. She's normally done after walking past one house and she did a mile. It was unbelievable to see.

· Banned
5,515 Posts
Okay, good, at least that's ruled out.

Glad they gave her a boost!

Definitely consider the dermatologist sometime soon (or have the vet give you a 4 week course of antibiotics to see if that does it. Hopefully the correct dose... ) :-/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.