Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog is allergic to grass and is practically bald from itching. We have never had her allergy tested but when we moved into a new house that had grass the itching started. I've taken her to the vet for it before and they gave her antibiotics and said keep her off the grass. Anybody that has a dog knows how hard it that is. She rarely goes on the grass but is ithcing like crazy. She is over 50% bald from scratching, I bathe her it but only helps for a day or two. She has been bald so long her skin looks like leather and she smells really bad.

My husband lost his job and we just moved away from a foreclosure so we really have no money to get her treated. She is miserable and I feel so bad for her, I don't know what to do for her. Does anybody have any advise at all? Thx

·
Registered
40 Posts
She needs to be on an immunosupressive drug.. like steroids.

Criosphynx, antibiotics will help with any secondary infections caused by scratching/self trauma

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
She needs to be on an immunosupressive drug.. like steroids.

Criosphynx, antibiotics will help with any secondary infections caused by scratching/self trauma
I understand that. But It still makes zero sence not to treat the dogs allergies as well. Also if the dog smells really bad then its likely the antibiotics aren't working, need to be stronger, or the dog has a yeast infection, not a bacterial one.

I still say change vets.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
At the vet clinic I work at, the doctor gives dogs with skin allergies a shot (I believe it's depo medrol) and usually some medication.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I understand that. But It still makes zero sence not to treat the dogs allergies as well. Also if the dog smells really bad then its likely the antibiotics aren't working, need to be stronger, or the dog has a yeast infection, not a bacterial one.

I still say change vets.
I agree completely. I understand giving antibiotics incase the dog is developing an infection from itching, but the dog still needs to be treated for her allergies. Our smallest chihuahua has a nasty allergy to something that we are still trying to pinpoint. She is almost entirely bald but luckily she has never developed a rash or itch too much. Other than being bald, she acts like a normal, happy, hyperactive chihuahua.

We recently changed her food to a different kind designed for dogs with allergies. Since she doesn't itch, we suspect her allergy may be food related.

That said, we've had the same problems with our vet that 4bobo described. We took the dog to the vet, the dog gave a weeks worth of allergy medicine and sent us on our way. The dog started growing her hair back immediately. However, within two weeks, she was going bald again. We called the vet and he gave us another weeks worth of antihistamines.

The antihistamines work, but we still need to know what is causing the problem so that we can avoid it and get her off of medication. We plan to take her to an allergy vet in the near future to see ift hey can help us determine what the problem is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts