Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 14 month old Golden, BILLY, had a reaction 1 hour after taking NexGuard. Agitated, itching out of control, blood red inside his ears and belly. I used compresses and finally gave him a benedryl. The vet said he can have 3 benedryl for his size, 82 lbs, 3 times a day. She had never seen or heard about this reaction but I showed her 1 exact reaction I found on the internet. They refunded our $. Being a holiday weekend I can't get info on how long this may last from the company.
He had been using Trifexis for a year but after reading negative things I decided to change. WRONG decision. I gave him both the Heartguard and NexGuard..and I am at my wits end. He is still itching and is causing scab areas. If ANYONE has information or ideas, please let me know.

A worried MOM:confused:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Did your vet suggest giving him an antihistamine? I don't want to give veterinary advice since I'm not a vet but if you think he's having an allergic reaction, something over the counter may help.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Wrap his feet in socks so he can't scratch and keep up with the benadryl. Contact an e-vet if he needs it.

Allergic reactions are unpredictable. I developed a hideous allergy to fragrances at 33 that landed me In the hospital. You just can't know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
allergic reaction

Thanks for the suggestions about the socks..All the vet suggested was Benadryl. If it gets worse I will take him to the e vet. I just hate that this is in his system and will be I guess for at least 30 days.

Our 14 month old Golden, BILLY, had a reaction 1 hour after taking NexGuard. Agitated, itching out of control, blood red inside his ears and belly. I used compresses and finally gave him a benedryl. The vet said he can have 3 benedryl for his size, 82 lbs, 3 times a day. She had never seen or heard about this reaction but I showed her 1 exact reaction I found on the internet. They refunded our $. Being a holiday weekend I can't get info on how long this may last from the company.
He had been using Trifexis for a year but after reading negative things I decided to change. WRONG decision. I gave him both the Heartguard and NexGuard..and I am at my wits end. He is still itching and is causing scab areas. If ANYONE has information or ideas, please let me know.

A worried MOM:confused:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Ugh, that is why I can't stand the ingest-able insecticides. At least with the topicals, you can wash most of it off if there is a reaction. I just cannot see why it would be good to have insecticide in your dog's system. Perhaps it would be helpful to get some activated charcoal in him? I'd try calling the emergency vet about this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts