Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-- I came home today and noticed a weird rash type thing on my dog's stomach. It's raised, red and is a little bumpy. His first rabies shot was last Sunday (a week ago) and they gave it to him on his thigh. I haven't given him anything out of the ordinary so the only thing in the back of my head is that maybe it's a reaction to the shot. Another thing that makes me a little nervous about it is that it's right where the incision was made when he was neutered, but it's been just about a year since he had that surgery. I put a little bit of neosporin on it... any one seen anything like this? If it doesn't get better in the morning I'm taking him to the vet.

http://tinypic.com/r/2lw1umt/4
http://tinypic.com/r/317bnys/4
http://tinypic.com/r/2qvbebs/4

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Mikey got something like that (NOT saying this is what it is) and what it turned out to be was swimmers itch, we were taking him to this great little park with a duck pond...ducks were giving him swimmers itch. We stopped going and it went away. He never worried at it, but that's kind of his nature...He can get a booboo and totally not notice.

Anyways-wonder-has he been swimming in a place where that could be in the water?

Vet is a good idea-let us know what the verdict is!

Also-WELCOME to the forum!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm taking my little foster Sheltie into the vet this afternoon. My regular vet was out of town last week and I took her to another one here in town.

She still has a rash on her belly (doesn't look like yours however) and it seems to get better and then it's worse again. She's not itching that I can tell.

First vet said it was an allergic reaction and that's what it looks like to me. But no clue to what!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mikey got something like that (NOT saying this is what it is) and what it turned out to be was swimmers itch, we were taking him to this great little park with a duck pond...ducks were giving him swimmers itch. We stopped going and it went away. He never worried at it, but that's kind of his nature...He can get a booboo and totally not notice.

Anyways-wonder-has he been swimming in a place where that could be in the water?

Vet is a good idea-let us know what the verdict is!

Also-WELCOME to the forum!

Both of my dogs are constantly in water, we have a pool for them... but no ducks... it's a thought though. He's not itching it and when I touch it to put neosporin on it, it doesn't seem to hurt him...

Thank you for the welcome =]!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm taking my little foster Sheltie into the vet this afternoon. My regular vet was out of town last week and I took her to another one here in town.

She still has a rash on her belly (doesn't look like yours however) and it seems to get better and then it's worse again. She's not itching that I can tell.

First vet said it was an allergic reaction and that's what it looks like to me. But no clue to what!
Aww I hope your baby gets better soon!

Riot's rash doesn't seem to itch him or bother him either, but when I get home from work today I'll have another look and if it's not better he's goin' to the vet too.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks! Our regular vet gave us some antibiotics and said to keep putting the spray on her 3 x a day. From what he indicated, I think he thinks this is part of the whole Cushings immune breakdown thing.

But she's doing just fine. Happy little camper. Doc told me she was a really good dog (which I knew) and that he knew she had my hubby wrapped around her little paw. :) She does.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Yes-keep us posted!!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Oh-on the pool...how often do you drain it? I wonder if birds are using it when the dogs aren't around?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Usually if a dog has a reaction to a rabies shot, it happens within the first hour of getting the shot. That is what the vet told my mom. My mom had a dog that was allergic to rabiies shots. When he was a puppy I went with her to get his rabies shot. As we were on the way home after the shot, he broke out in bumps and started itching like crazy. We turned around and went back to the vets office. He gave him a shot for the allergy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts